Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 AM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the engine bay

This is a 2000 TA. And my engine bay is black like the car. From all the work I have done in the engine bay there are many scratches in the paint. Especially around the sides where the headers are. It seems that they put a very light coat of paint in the bay as I can easily scratch it off down to the gray primer.

While the engine is out I am considering painting the bay. I was thinking of painting it with a Por15 Chasis Black and if need be add a Por15 Clear Coat. I am going for looks but also strength. I have this nasty habit of working on the engine all the damn time and I don't want the engine bay paint to easily come off.

What is everyone's thoughts about this? I know those paints will never look as good as painting with the factory paint and clear coating. But, it would stand up to abuse much better. The car will eventually be a show car. But, I still have tons of work to do. The car has 55K of abuse. I do race it but not often. And I work on it all the time. It probably spends about as much time on jacks than it does on the road.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had my engine out i just sanded everything down, used automotive primer, then masked things off with plastic sheets that i didnt' want to get hit with spray, sprayed the bay in metallic silver to match the car and then put a light clearcoat. worked pretty well but its a pain because it comes off easy, i prolly should have used a POR paint or something.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:20 AM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

So, you think it is a good idea to use a stronger paint that does not look as good as the factory paint but holds up better? I still want to be able to show but if I am constantly scratching off the paint then I will always do poorly.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BB
So, you think it is a good idea to use a stronger paint that does not look as good as the factory paint but holds up better? I still want to be able to show but if I am constantly scratching off the paint then I will always do poorly.
Just make sure whatever system you use, that the clearcoat is compatible with the base coat(automotive or POR15). Otherwise you will have adhesion
problems and wished you never started.

I think as long as you clear coat it with 2-3 coats it should look pretty much factory. Onyx Black is about as black as you can get with no metallic additive so POR should match pretty close.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 03-05-2004, 01:16 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Great advise. I would have never thought of that. So far I am considering Por15 followed with Por15 Black Coate (glossy version of Chasis coate) since it is glossy black and I won't need to clear coat then.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BB
Great advise. I would have never thought of that. So far I am considering Por15 followed with Por15 Black Coate (glossy version of Chasis coate) since it is glossy black and I won't need to clear coat then.
Probably not with the POR15, it's pretty tough stuff considering it's meant to go on rearends, axles, chassis components, etc.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Motorboater

Downside to using Por 15 is that stuff doesn't come off..if you dripped or spilled on another part of the car or something that would be a problem.

and wear plastic gloves if you use it..my buddy didnt' and his hands were black for a long time
Old 03-05-2004, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

How glossy is the POR15 (glossy version)?
Old 03-05-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

can anyone direcet me also in what brand to use for my engine bay. my engine is out and I have filled in all the holes in the engine bay and all the seems with an epoxy my dad gave me. i have sanded it all down and the engine bay is completely smooth and primered gray. should i get some heavy duty paint or just have a body shop paint it with regular black auto paint?
Old 03-07-2004, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

To the top
Old 03-07-2004, 05:29 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Por15 itself is glossy. Since it is UV sensitive you need to put a top coat over it. I used it alone on my axle. Hard as nails and it is glossy. For the engine bay I will be using Por15 Rust Prevention for protection followed with Chasis Black. I understand this is not as glossy as Black Coate.

If I wasn't in the bay all the time messin' with stuff I would just use the factory paint with clear. That is what looks better and that is what most show cars and hot rod have.

I am hoping that with the Por 15 and Por 15 Chasis Black the bay walls will have better protection and touch up will be easy and not that noticable and I can still show the car. Plus the less glossy Chasis Black won't take from the shinny chrome, polished aluminum, and powerer coated parts.

For the Por15 brand check out www.por15.com. Eastwood also has there own brand. I think they are close in performance. I just prefer Por15.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive used por15 and it is great stuff. I never thought about putting it on in the bay. I may have to do this also.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:52 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Just remember to put a top coat on it since it is UV sensitive. Of course, it really depends on how much your engine bay is exposed to sunlight.

Quick Reply: Painting the engine bay