Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is my stock diff on its last legs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my stock diff on its last legs??

I have a 2000 TA WS6, A4.

It is doing the ratcheting thing when you go slow or slow down. It is becoming pretty obvious now inside the car.

It has also started, over the past couple months, started a new behavior. It seems to want "Spool up" or has slack at times. Then when you hit the gas it takes a second to wind up and then makes a clunk and works fine. I notice it most when I am slowing down or am cruising slowly when the drivetrain is not under load then hit the gas.

This sound like the diff? The Tranny is behaving well, no slipping that i can detect and the noises seem to come from the back of the car.

I thought the housing might be loose so I replaced the LCA's, panhard with UMI stuff. that took the physical clunks out from the bad bushings. The Torque arm is solid.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

well not to hijack,but im concerned about mine as well.....except i have clunking and banging at low speeds........when i pull into a parking space ill hear a clucnk and like my axle is sliding bck in forth...then when i back out of the space, when i start moving it will clunk once, then when i put it in 1st and straiten out, it will clunk again......does yours do this?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines not doing that, that I can tell anyway. Just feels like it is "winding up" and then clunking into place. Once its going, its fine.