Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end help.

i have a 2000 camaro its only the v6 but hopefully not for much longer. when i was goin through a parkin lot maby 5-10 mph there is a grinding and occasional pop from the rear end, as i go faster the grinding gets louder and from inside it sounds like the big tires on a truck. i took off the wheel and the whole brake assembly and moved the hub and it seemed like there was more than uasual slack from forward to backward. and a clank sound every time the slack ended and it cought. any ideas?? thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the rear axle on jack stands and run it in gear,,, and try to isolate where the sound is coming from,,, (should be a 2 person job)and also if there are any leaks around the pinion seal(leaks help indicate where the bad bearings are,,,,, sometimes),,, if its coming from more towards the outside could be the axle bearings,,, center,,, could be the carrier or pinion bearings,,, i had the keeper to the center shaft of the posi come loose and get jammed in the pinion bearing... tore it down and slapped in new bearings and 3.42's....good luck..