Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Insight on Rear Mount 76 on LS1 Miata...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insight on Rear Mount 76 on LS1 Miata...

Hey guys, Sold my LSX-R FAST 102 and my NANO N20 Kit and very close to purchasing parts for a 76mm Rear Mount Turbo Set-Up and FMIC.

Goal is 600rwhp with room for 700rwhp.

Here are my primary concerns and areas of confusion...

*I would really like to run my own oiling system mounted in the trunk... I would imagine this would consist of an Aluminum Tank, an oil Pump, and AN Fittings to and from the Turbocharger (Feel and Return)... Would I need 2 Oil Pumps to get this job done? Is there much more to this Self-Oiling idea than I think? ... If this idea fails, I believe I can just run an Oil Feed Line to the back and a Return pump to return the Oil.. Any suggestions for a pump if I went this route?

*I don't understand how people are running 76mm turbo's at such low boost? Isn't this out of the turbochargers efficiency range?
What A/R & Flange should I go with? (T4?) (.90AR?)
(Unfortunately I'm not very good at reading compressor maps and choosing the correct set-up)

*Would there be a large benefit on an LS1 Intake over an LS6 Intake on a boosted application?
... I still have my Stock LS1 Intake and if power differences at say 10psi boost on a 76 between the LS1 & LS6 intakes are only 10whp, then I would believe I'd rather spend my money else where...
Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Most people will tell you to just run the oil out of the motor, i looked at doing a similar setup to what you're talking about, but i think the problem with the idea is how cool your oil for the turbo will be.

Id stick with the ls6 personally
Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask TracyRR about the standalone oil system, he did it on his C5 with twins.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Launching!

This sounds like a fun build
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the LS6 intake would be better than the LS1. the LS1 intakes are pretty restrictive and mine kept popping the EGR plug. do you have room for a Edelbrock and elbow? the self contained oil system is a good idea but you will either need two pumps or mount the resevoir lower than the turbo to allow gravity to drain the turbo and one pump to feed it. I used a TurboWerx pump on my 98 rear mount and it worked great. are you 100% on the rear mount? you could probably "make" some room up front if you wanted to fit a TC series turbo.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Just found out about COMP's Oil-Less Turbo's...
Going to run one of those! Very excited!
... That takes care of the oiling issues I was worried about.

Will a 44mm external gate suffice or will I have to run a 60mm gate?
Also, both banks will join together with a y-pipe (each bank is 2.5" Mandrel)...
After they join in to a "Y", Is it best to run a single 3" Mandrel to the back or larger?
This set up is SO stupid simple!

70-76mm Oil-Less Comp
Y-pipe and hangers to mount the turbo, a intercooler leading to a FMIC and 60lb injectors. STUPID SIMPLE set-up!!! I'm very excited!

Quick Reply: Insight on Rear Mount 76 on LS1 Miata...