Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Reverse Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T56 Reverse Problem

Hello everyone. I'm having a sudden issue with my 2000 Z28 T56 transmission. When I go to put the car into reverse it is very difficult (yes I am past the reverse lockout solenoid) and when I try to push it into reverse it will grind. I know that these T56's like to be "guided" into reverse, not forced and that's what I have always done to avoid grinding. The strange thing about it is that this has all of a sudden happened, I never had issues with any gears including reverse until now, and currently it is happening every time. Because of this issue when I need to use reverse I have to put it into the reverse gear with the car off, when the car is off it goes into reverse smoothly and easily.

Now I know that air in the hydraulic system can cause grinding, but I would think that all gears would experience harshness or grinding if I had a hydraulic problem? As far as I can tell all the other gears seem to be unaffected besides reverse. Tomorrow I am going to change my fluid to see if that makes any difference (I have a shitload of dex III ATF at home ) and it has been a while since i've changed it.

I'm thinking that even if the fluid change helps the grinding I still have a reverse synchro on its way out. Is this something that is easy to change and where is the best sponsor to get t56 parts from? Thanks everyone for any help.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Oh yeah i'm currently using a Tick master cylinder, TDP stage 2 clutch, new GM slave, and stock shifter. I did the clutch install myself so I know how to drop the transmission fairly easily. Thanks again everyone.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think air in the line or master cylinder.

What I mean is, air in the line WILL cause grinding in reverse and not in other gears. It would make it harder to get into the other gears, mainly first gear, but it probably wouldn't grind.

More likely is your master cylinder needs to be adjusted out a bit. You may have not tightened the jam nuts entirely which causes the turnbuckle thingie to loosen and gravity makes it go downward which reduces travel and makes the clutch not disengage all the way. I had this exact same problem. Give it a look-see and report back.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Gatsby, I will bleed it some tomorrow and check my jamnuts on the master cylinder (good thing I bought that speedbleeder from tick ).

I haven't noticed that first is harder to get into, but maybe i'm just not paying enough attention. Reverse is the only gear that is extremely hard to get into, I feel like i'm wrestling hercules trying to get it into gear .

Also haven't noticed that the clutch pedal is any lower than normal, but again this could be a possibility that i'm just not noticing. I have however always had a little play at the VERY top of my pedal after the tick master was installed. It's one of those things where if I play with the pedal with my toes (go UNDER the pedal and jossle around a bit) it will move just slightly. I always thought that it was just the way it was supposed to be though. .
Old 09-04-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Also, if I do have air in the hydraulic system, how does this happen? I mean obviously there is some kind of void and compromised area in the system that is letting air in?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all connection points in your hydraulic system for leaks, and make sure the line that runs from the master to the slave cylinder is as far away from the headers as possible.

Past that, put a fresh bleed on your system and then re-adjust our Master using our instructions as a guide. You'll be smooth sailing afterwards.

Quick Reply: T56 Reverse Problem