Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Miata build cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Miata build cost?

So I've been entertaining the idea of swapping either the Ls1 in my vette into a Miata, or who knows maybe an LS2 stroker. Been looking around breifly and wondering what price do you current LS1 Miata owners think I could do this swap for. I'm already in the process of a twin turbo kit for my c5 so I cant be dumping money into this. Didn't know if I can grab some used parts instead of buying all new like somethings in the V8R kit.

Thanks in advance
Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends how much fabrication you are comfortable performing yourself. Flyin miata/ V8roadster both offer pretty complete lists of bits
http://www.flyinmiata.com/V8/costs.php
subtract out what you aren't comfortable making/sourcing used/figuring out on your own, and probably add $1k in for fittings.

If you are willing to reconfigure rear suspenson a bit, you can fit FFR axles for the miata, and that will save you a good chunk of change. If you have a welder, and solid understanding of engine/drivetrain alignment, you can do the subframes yourself.

Source the engine/trans/diff yourself, save some more (it is easier to find the Ford 8.8s cheaper, although they don't fit quite as well. They do tend to be more robust.)

Research a lot, there are a couple really good miata build threads here on ls1tech, where people are doing the lions share of the fabrication. Although it seems most folks come to the realization that the v8r subframe kit is at least worthwhile in how much it will save you in time.

Quick Reply: LS1 Miata build cost?