Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam upgrade

Sure this gets asked allot here. And see it does so I will get to the point. Going with the below I was wondering if someone could give me info on a good cam that will help what mods I have and where to get it without searching and searching. I know there is plenty of info on this site and have learned allot but gonna make one choice and would like info from someone with experience. The only time I have ever messed with a cam is installing a performer kit into a 80 z28 and it woke it up pretty good without headers.

What I have:
Stock block 02 WS6 six speed
Longtube headers
SLP lid
x pipe exhaust with SLP res and no converters. (It breathes good)
Stock 3.42
What I want:
Good streetability (It's a daily driver)
To make sure I do not get out ran by the new 5.0's
I'm thinking right now I can come close to breaking into the 12's so it'll be close but need drag radials for that. But want to make sure I can run mid to high 12's all day if needed.
Hoping to drop to 4.10's which will put me over 6k @ the end of the 1/4. Dropping allot of h.p. right now above 5300 rpm.
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Last edited by 02tacheesehead; 09-05-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: to be more specific
Old 09-05-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call eps.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your main goal is to race and beat the stock to bolt ons 5.0s, forego the cam swap and do F/I or do heads and cam swap, decent amount of bolt ons and maybe a shot of nitrous.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bene
If your main goal is to race and beat the stock to bolt ons 5.0s, forego the cam swap and do F/I or do heads and cam swap, decent amount of bolt ons and maybe a shot of nitrous.
exactly what I was thinking. With nitrous you'll keep your stock drivability and still murder the new muffstains.

If you are set on a cam, texas speed's 228r or Torquer V2 would be good choices that maintain your drivability.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SippiSpeedhawk
exactly what I was thinking. With nitrous you'll keep your stock drivability and still murder the new muffstains.

If you are set on a cam, texas speed's 228r or Torquer V2 would be good choices that maintain your drivability.
I would like to stay away from the bottle.
just say I did settle on a V2 without any more bolt-ons for now. Would this give me a decent boost in h.p. over what I have now without killing my low end and MPG?

I'm not worried of the new "muffstains" with bolt-ons I guess. just would like to ensure a good run to produce mid to high 12's and I will be satisfied knowing a stock one is not going to touch me.
I do not have much experience with the cam selection process and maybe there is another way to achieve this. Guess I'm going with the experience of what the performer cam did for me on my old z28.
I do thank you for your time and providing the info of the V2. Worth a look.
I'm hitting 13.42 @ 109 right now with street tires and basically wasting my launch due to wheel spin in 1st.

Last edited by 02tacheesehead; 09-05-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Call eps for a cam, custom cams outperform off the shelf grinds
Old 09-05-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider a ed curtis street sweeper cam.