Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9in spool question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9in spool question

I need to get an axle for my 9 in. I took the axle to a local rear end shop and they asked what kind of spool was in the car so they would know what kind of splines were in it. I do not know. It is a 35 spline axle and the spool has no writing on it not even a part number. How can I find out what splines are in it?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I'm understanding the question, but the spool will have to be 35 spline to match the axle. You can count the teeth on the spool where the axle will insert or look up the part number. Counting would be faster. Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

"they asked what kind of spool was in the car so they would know what kind of splines were in it. "

I a'nt never heard "what kind of spool " ( but there is a lot I a'nt never heard) making a differance when replacing an axle, I have heard of "minne and full " spool,

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Not sure I'm understanding the question, but the spool will have to be 35 spline to match the axle. You can count the teeth on the spool where the axle will insert or look up the part number. Counting would be faster. Hope that helps.
good answer , ( OP has the axle in his hand ,sure the axle spline are the same as on spool)
just my 0.02' Johnny
Old 09-16-2011, 12:59 PM
Teching In

the axle they have came out of the rear end so i would think they would know to count the splines on the axle and order a 35 spline axle. who knows. i thought it was kind of a dumb question myself but i don't mess with a whole lot of rear ends