Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

painting wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painting wheels?

Didn't get a response in paint/body work section so I am reposting here. I have Firehawk rims on my 2002 TA. Just finished painting wheel wells black and painting brake calipers and brackets. Now I want to do something about the backside of the rims. They are flaking and look horrible. Can you remove the top coating that is flaking away and the paint it black? It would look a lot cleaner. Would it somehow damage the rim or start a corrision process by doing this? I am talking about the inside of the rims, behind the chrome rim itself. I will try to post some pics later for reference. I also want to know if anyone has painted the inside area of the rims around the lugnuts. Tried my best with dremel and felt wheel, but no good, area still looks corroded.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wire brush? ...follow with 80, 220, then 400 grit... then paint away. Make sure you tape off the chrome but then again, paint should just wipe off
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics of inside of rim may help... it depends on what is causing corrosion but generally sanding down the cancer to fresh material and then etching primer, then paint...