Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replace clutch or flush? newbie

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default replace clutch or flush? newbie

stock 2001 ss with 64xxx miles. for about the last 8k miles the trans would occasionally grind gears only when i went from neutral to first gear. i just assumed the clutch is going bad and needs to be replaced. the clutch pedal used to stick to the floor but i replaced the clutch fluid and it hasn't stuck to the floor for a year now. is this the first sign of a clutch going bad or do i just need a tranny flush? I've never grinded gears on any other shifts and the RPMS have never spiked from the clutch slipping. let me know what u guys think!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Changing the fluid in the trans is not going to fix a thing,, You could have one of multiple issues,, Yes it could be the clutch giving up the ghost,, Or it could be a bad slave cylinder, not pushing the pp fingers in enough to completely disgengage the clutch, or it could also be a bad master, not moving enough fluid to do the job,, The easiest possibility could be that you might just need to flush the system out and re-bleed it... Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: replace clutch or flush? newbie