Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSx newbie.. Looking to build a LQ4/L92 setup.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSx newbie.. Looking to build a LQ4/L92 setup.

I need a little help, guys.. I'm looking at putting together a motor for a swap project ('04 Mustang), and don't know much about all of the x's and o's of the LSx stuff. I have TONS of background on engine assembly, swaps, tuning, etc.. but, I've primarily worked with Ford and Nissan stuff over the years. So, I do know a good bit.. I just don't know anything about Chevy stuff.

This will be a street car, but will see track duty every once in a while. That being said, I'd like to make around 450-500whp, without breaking the bank. Anything that I can make past that is just an added bonus.

I haven't decided if I want to go auto or manual yet. The car is a roller right now, and I can put whatever in it. It previously had a 4 valve 4.6 with a big twin screw. What do you guys recommend for a trans at this power level? 4L80E?

So, to start off.. A buddy was telling me to use a LQ4 stock short block (rebuilt, with ARP rod and main bolts), and L92 or LS3 heads. I just need to know what years to look for, and what to avoid. Also, what would be better for a street/limited strip duty as far as heads? What cam choices do I have, and what needs to be done in the valvetrain?

I don't want anything retarded loud. I plan on running cats, resonators, and mufflers. I have to drive the car daily, and I don't need something that's going to have my head buzzing after 30 minutes of driving. I'll throw some QTP cutouts on for the track.

Also, what's the best route as far as electronics for a swap such as mine?

I know I'm asking a lot here, but I could really use some pointers. What's the best bang for the buck that I can put together using rebuilt parts from production based stuff?

Thanks!

Travis