Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pedal loses pressure when started

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 12:55 PM
math > me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake pedal loses pressure when started

I tried searching to no avail.

I had a front driver caliper seize and I replaced it. I bled the brakes from all the calipers. It holds pressure like it should until it's started. As soon as it starts, the pedal goes to the floor and will not build pressure again while running.

I don't feel like it's the master cylinder because it builds pressure well when not running.

Thoughts? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:57 PM
math > me

Also, when bleeding the brakes, I can't hear air coming out and the fluid isn't spraying out like it does with air.

I have bled about 3.5 quarts.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

I don't think the initial pressure has anything to do with running pressure, but I could be wrong. I just never rely on pre-start up pressure fully when I do any brake work. Its honestly sounds like you have an annoying air pocket that just doesn't want to go. Or no pressure somewhere you really need it, in one of your important brake components. Also I normally don't hear air when I bleed, you probably need a large about of pocketed air to hear it, its not like letting air out a tire, lol. You should never have that much air in your lines.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:57 PM
math > me

I appreciate the info and help.

I should add that while the caliper was on back order, I sealed off the end of the brake line where it connects to the caliper and drove it the quarter mile to work. Ghetto and unsafe, I know. BUT it had normal brake pressure until I replaced the seized caliper with the new one.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

You are having no luck man, lol. It almost sounds like that Caliper is faulty, it happens. I once picked up a caliper from NAPA for my 98 Z28, and it was complete ****, took it back, replaced it, everything was fine. But honestly dude driving like you did even with pressure is never good. Hope you didn't mess anything up.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:30 AM
math > me

I know it wasn't a good idea. :/ But there was no other option. The parts stores couldn't get a caliper and the dealership was on back order. Bad deal. I ended up finding a remanufactured caliper and had to buy it because the dealership was on back order through late October.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Brake pedal loses pressure when started