Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best/Most Versatile Suspension for a Street/Road Race/Drag Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best/Most Versatile Suspension for a Street/Road Race/Drag Car?

Hey All!

I have an 02 SS M6 street car as my 'backup daily driver'. It's a 347 ci head/cam car that currently traps 118-119 mph in the 1/4.

I bought the car from a guy who used to road race... It has front/rear ground control coilovers with koni shocks.

I'm a 'noob' when it comes to suspension...

I'm looking for a setup that will allow me to maximize the 'best of both worlds' when it comes to road racing and drag racing. I've heard a lot of good about the adjustable QA1 shocks, for example. I wanted to get the opinions of all you guys here on LS1 tech.

What do you guys recommend as the best/most versatile setup for road racing and drag racing? I'm visualizing a setup that can be changed without unbolting any suspension parts from the car (for example, just turning and adjustment **** or screw on the shocks). Saturday drag racing, Sunday road racing, etc...

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your current setup is pretty good, last I checked ground control coilovers are adjustable. It sounds like your asking for a lot, and not that's its impossible, just that as a person newer to suspension setups should coast the forums to see what people are running. Take some time and read some of the write ups members have put a lot of work into to guide lost souls just like you! Good luck.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly? Keep it the way it is...if you want it to do better at the drag strip, you'll end up taking away the handling you already have (well, you at least have the right parts to make it handle the twisties).
Old 10-02-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by glhs422
Hey All!

I have an 02 SS M6 street car as my 'backup daily driver'. It's a 347 ci head/cam car that currently traps 118-119 mph in the 1/4.

I bought the car from a guy who used to road race... It has front/rear ground control coilovers with koni shocks.

I'm a 'noob' when it comes to suspension...

I'm looking for a setup that will allow me to maximize the 'best of both worlds' when it comes to road racing and drag racing. I've heard a lot of good about the adjustable QA1 shocks, for example. I wanted to get the opinions of all you guys here on LS1 tech.
Not sure who you've talked to but QA1s are non-gas charged drag shocks, and horrible for anything but launching, that would be a huge step down.

What do you guys recommend as the best/most versatile setup for road racing and drag racing? I'm visualizing a setup that can be changed without unbolting any suspension parts from the car (for example, just turning and adjustment **** or screw on the shocks). Saturday drag racing, Sunday road racing, etc...
Your konis are rebound adjustable if they are singles, and rebound/compression adjustable if they are doubles. The ground control kit you have should be adjustable height as well. You've honestly got one of the best shocks/springs (assuming the spring rates arnt wacky) setup right now.
What other suspension mods do you have?

Quick Reply: Best/Most Versatile Suspension for a Street/Road Race/Drag Car?