Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help

my car sounds horrible when i go over any size bump. i live in the hills of tn so i cant lower my car that much. i need help on some shock and/or springs for my car. they are the stock springs but i have other suspension done(see sig) i need a better ride. it doesn't need to be a caddy but i would like a better ride and it still handle good. thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Koni SAs on all fours, also check your rear bumpstops to see if they're still intact.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997transamws6
my car sounds horrible when i go over any size bump. i live in the hills of tn so i cant lower my car that much. i need help on some shock and/or springs for my car. they are the stock springs but i have other suspension done(see sig) i need a better ride. it doesn't need to be a caddy but i would like a better ride and it still handle good. thanks for the help.
Pretty vague. What does it sound like? Front or rear?
What kind of LCAs do you have, poly, rod ended?
Whats your tire pressure at?

+1 to the koni suggestion, you don't need different springs if you dont want them, stock will ride best.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Koni SA's if you budget permits, otherwise get a set of Bilsteins
Also as already stated, check the condition of the rear bumpstops.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-02-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

tires pressure is about 35. sorry this a noob question but where/what are the rear bumpstops. and it sounds like its coming from the front and back. when i hit something in the front i hear and then again in the back when it hits it. and its squeaks and sounds like plastic moving all about. do you think my pannels are loose? sorry i really don't know how to describe it.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997transamws6
tires pressure is about 35. sorry this a noob question but where/what are the rear bumpstops. and it sounds like its coming from the front and back. when i hit something in the front i hear and then again in the back when it hits it. and its squeaks and sounds like plastic moving all about. do you think my pannels are loose? sorry i really don't know how to describe it.
Turn the pressure down to 30psi, yes the -5psi will make a difference.
Your rear bump stops are rubber/foam suspension travel limiters that stops the rear axle from hitting the car (or wheels from hitting fenders, or axle from hitting exhaust, which ever comes first in your particular setup).
Heres a decent pic, its the white triangular piece attached to the frame/wheel well:

The noise your hearing could be from your swaybar D bushings being old and dry rotted.
Heres a decent pic of those (this is the rear, the guy in the pic is touching the mount and bushing im talking about.)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

if you don't want to spend a grand on a set of shocks, I have 2 sets I'm selling, one set of Bilstein HD's and one set of KYB AGX adjustables. I also have a set of SLP lowering springs that will lower you only 1" and ride like factory. They came on the SS/Firehawk cars. The AGX are nice because you can dial them from soft to firm 1-8. The Bilsteins are a bit stiffer but ride excellent and do wonders to improve handling.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

jd amg thank you so much. i will go out there and look right now.

ballinonabudget do you think it would be better in the long wrong for those shocks?

Quick Reply: need help