Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LSx engine into a 1963 Chevy II coupe

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up LSx engine into a 1963 Chevy II coupe

Hello. My name is Jim and I am an automotive technician. I own my own shop but work at a different shop for someone else. I work on all types of cars and trucks but my specialty is electrical and driveability. I am wanting to learn more about tuning,ect with the newer engines. I work on them now but only from a stock point of repair. Nothing in the custom side.
Anyway,I have a 63 Chevy II coupe that is stripped down to a bare body and I would like to install a newer style LS engine into it. This will be adriver with possible some strip time as well. I picked up a 5.3 to play around with. In this months Super Chevy magazine they are working on a 5.3. So far they have had the heads ported,different cam installed,different tune and intake. they have dynoed the engine around 440hp at the crank. This is with a mild cam. Next month they are going to continue the series and keep going with this engine. They said they will be eventually punching this out to a 383 engine.
I am going to follow along with this story as well as read on here and asking questions as I go. I am here to learn and will appreciate any and all help from those here on the board who are inclined to help. Thanks for letting me on here and I am looking forward to taking the next step in my learning process. Jim
Old 10-07-2011, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

sounds good man, welcome in, enjoy that lsx
Old 10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Welcome from a fellow Michigander.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Go for it, sounds like a bad *** project! I bet the chevy II's are light as hell, and with an ls motor, it should run.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

pics!!