Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear O2 question--need quick answer

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear O2 question--need quick answer

I dropped my car off at the exhaust shop today for a custom Y. Since I don't have rear O2 extensions yet, I told them to either plug the holes or install the O2s and just leave them unplugged. Since the O2s are 4-wire (heated), will leaving them unplugged hurt them from being in the exhaust stream and not having them heated? TIA
Old 03-08-2004, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cm02WS6
I dropped my car off at the exhaust shop today for a custom Y. Since I don't have rear O2 extensions yet, I told them to either plug the holes or install the O2s and just leave them unplugged. Since the O2s are 4-wire (heated), will leaving them unplugged hurt them from being in the exhaust stream and not having them heated? TIA
I'm pretty sure leaving them in there for a length of time not connected will
foul them. Just have the shop put plugs into the bungs and put the sensors back in when you get the extensions. You will get an SES light from not having them connected but there only purpose is to tell if the cats are working efficiently. It should have no effect on performance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong .
Old 03-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Launching!

You're right about the codes, but I can just clear them with AutoTap when I get the O2s connected.

Aren't O2s the same thread as spark plugs? Maybe I'll just drive it home and swap them out.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why would it hurt them to leave 'em in the stream without being heated? Older one wire O2s were not heated, they worked fine The heating element is not there to prevent fouling, but to get them up to temp quicker on a cold start for a more accurate reading sooner.....
Old 03-08-2004, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why would it hurt them to leave 'em in the stream without being heated? Older one wire O2s were not heated, they worked fine The heating element is not there to prevent fouling, but to get them up to temp quicker on a cold start for a more accurate reading sooner.....

I vaguely remember coming across this surfing around. I could be wrong.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving with the SES code can quickly foul your plugs and your O-2's because the car goes into limp mode adding extra fuel so you don't hit a lean condition. I wouldn't reccoment driving for an extended period of time.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Dal1as
Driving with the SES code can quickly foul your plugs and your O-2's because the car goes into limp mode adding extra fuel so you don't hit a lean condition. I wouldn't reccoment driving for an extended period of time.
Uh, no. Not true. At least not a MIL/SES for a cat performance related DTC.

If the SES is realated to a DTC for poor cat performance (which it would be without cats or sims), it will not do anything to foul your plugs or hurt performance.

Hundreds of us have proven this time and time again.....
Old 03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Well, I picked it up from the exhaust shop tonight! They did a real good job. We just put the O2s in it, unconnected for now. I'll do the extensions this weekend. The passenger side fits easily, but the drivers side will need a little extension.

I think what Dal1as was talking about would be the front O2s, which are the ones that the PCM uses. The ones I'm talking about are the rears, which are only to tell the computer that the cats are functioning properly. I threw the code, so I guess the computer doesn't think the cats are functioning!

Now I just need to get out and drive it! Its been too long--I think I put about 100 miles on it in the last couple of months.

I wonder how much that stock muffler is hurting me..........