New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for More HP

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for More HP

Ok so I have been doing alot of research on this forum and have found some good info. At first i had a hard on for just making a bunch of power but have now concluded that i should first put my cash into preparing the car so it doesnt cost me even more in the future. First off Ill say My full out plan for this 2000 trans am is just a fun street N/A street car. high 400 hp range will be my goal. so im trying to put together a list here to get started on prepping car. I know i need sub frame connectors. should i get weld ons or bolt ons? and what brand has been good to you guys? pan hard rods,adjustable torque arm,also i will put in a moser 12 bolt. kinda new at this so just trying to figure out a good solid list. also i have a m6 car so are there any trans up grades i need to do? good clutch i know is a must. any help would be awesome thanks guys!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe a good heads, cam, intake and full exhaust (header to cat back) should easily reach your goal, specially with a moser 12 bolt and a clutch. Everything depends on what you can afford also.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i tell ya what if i could do it all over again i would have just had got a procharger, i have seen alot of really good used kits go for around 32,3500, and you will have room to grow ,
Old 10-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

As far as I can tell, most subframe connectors are about the same. I like the weld-ins as they should be more rigid, but not sure that it really manners to be honest. The 3 point SFC's are better than the 2 point as they connect more parts of the frame to each other, but either will do you nicely. Bolt-ins have the benifit of being removeable, which is not so important if you decide to do the 2 points, but more important if you dcide to do 3 points (harder to work on/remove/install exhaust etc).

Upgrading the rear end is not a bad idea. Although I chose to upgrade the motor until the rear end breaks and so far I've been lucky. So it's up to you.

Best thing I can say to you is to not to wimp out when you buy parts, or else you'll be buying them twice. For instance, I bought 1 3/4" headers, but now am looking at 1 7/8". I have a 98 so it came with the LS1 intake and so I got a LS6 intake, but now I am looking at FAST 90/92 intakes. I bought unported 243's, but then immediately bought cnc ported 243's before even installing them... I think you get the point. Going that way is an expensive route. Buy it right the first time and save in the long run.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a 9" instead of a 12 bolt and a stronger ds to match. Do lca's and adjustable ta to get the power to the ground..
Old 10-10-2011, 01:18 PM

OK thanks for the replies. IM gonna get the car set up to handle the power before i buy any engine mods. its bone stock right now. So will start working on chassis and suspension first.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Default whats next????

oo z28,ls6 intake,ported tb,bbk headers w/hooker muffler,342 gears,yank 3600 stall converter,msd 8.5 wires,totally new to this,car has 30000 miles on it,want more hp....just need some advice...