Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 4l60e build advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 4l60e build advice.

Hey everyone putting a stock 98 ls1 block with LLOYD ELLIOT LE2 ported heads with a custom 232/238 cam, ls6 intake, and supporting mods, into a 94 rx7. The car with motor transmission and me should be around 2800 lbs. Now for my question I am looking to get my transmission built it has 30000 miles on it in good condition was shifting fine no slip etc. I have been looking at ordering this rebuild kit "http://www.700r4l60e.com/store/product.php?productid=201&cat=55&page=1" and having a shop here in town install it. Looking for honest opinions as in to do this or if I would be better off to order a built transmission from one the sponsors. . I already have a yank ss4000 stall ordered. It would be about 900 cheaper or more for to order the parts and have my hometown shop do the build. He has built some 4l60e for track guys here and was all about trying out this kit. Oh also have a hsw nitrous kit but not sure on hp shot I will use at this time.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is really a toss up, IMO. It all depends on how experienced your trans guy is at building 4L60E's. From what other trans guys have told me, the 4L60E is not one that just any transmission guy can build and get to hold together successfully under decent power, which is why I ended up sending mine away and getting a built one done by someone with experience in 4L60Es. There are learned tricks the trans builder must know about putting one of these things together--drilling holes here and there and opening up fluid flow in certain areas, setting the clearances to certain specs (not factory GM), etc. Otherwise, you may be buying $700 worth of great parts but end up ruining them when the trans goes because it's not just about the parts, it's about how it's put together. My advice would be to talk to some of the guys he has built 4L60Es for and see how theirs are holding up. Ask them how many passes/miles they have, if they've had any issues, how much power they're making. If there are a good number of them and most all of them are doing great holding up, you may have a good trans builder. If there are only a few guys he has done work for with 4L60Es and/or most of them have had some issues, I'd start looking elsewhere. I almost had a local guy do mine as well, then decided I didn't want to take the risk. I'm glad I didn't.

Scott
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Scott,
Where did you send yours away too, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hemiqc2003
Scott,
Where did you send yours away too, if you don't mind me asking?
Not at all. PM'd you.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to 4L60e transmissions general transmission shops can usually get a stock rebuild done without much issue. But when it comes to performance builds it isn't so much about the parts you put into the transmission, it is the setup that really makes the difference. We have 4L60e transmissions handling 1000+rwhp with the same or less parts then some places that struggling to keep them alive behind 400rwhp. Transmissions from the sponsors here on the board aren't always the cheapest alternative but you are paying for the years of experience our builders have building souly 4L60e transmissions for high horse power performance applications. Our builder does nothing but build 4L60e transmissions all day long year round. He has no other job. He doesn't sweep the floor, he doesn't take out the trash. He just builds the best transmissions he can possibly build. When dealing with a cheaper local shop it gets real expensive and time consuming pulling the trans and paying for repair parts till he gets it right.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject. If you have any questions please feel free to let me know.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

id definitely buy from a sponsor here. any time you ever have a question or need help they are always around and have great customer service as well. you know what youre getting, rather than buying from some random transmission website.