Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions about spraying on the transbrake

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions about spraying on the transbrake

My first post so let the flaming begin!!!

I'm not going to ask if it can be done.......but should you do it? I have a bone stock lq4 (100% manifolds and all)in a 69 chevelle with a built th400 with a tci streetfighter converter (stalls about 3400 on the brake)plenty of traction (12bolt w/spool) and very little power. I have been spraying a 125 shot with hsw wet n20 kit (msd window switch f.p.s.s. All that stuff)

The deal is that I launched with the brake then sprayed and everything went great. Then I launched with the brake and nitrous at the same time(stalled at 3600)and everything went better. The car didn't spin and it launched like a rocket!!! went 11.25 @ 110 with a 1.52 60ft on the rev limiter way before the end of the 1/4

Now the problem is I told a few racing buddies and they all flipped out like oh NO you can't do that..... but why? It works and very well!!! Its not spraying below 3200 and I have the rest of the car to handle it so what gives?

Soooooo....... What do you think? Stop or bump the limiter to 6200 and give it hell with a 150 shot while praying for 10.99....(it's only a 700$ engine so wtf)

Also thanks for all the great info on the boards it's been a ton of help with the swap!!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Are you saying you sprayed it on the convertor? If so I would hook it up so you are spraying right after your finger comes off the brake button. Spraying on the convertor is just building a ton of heat in that tranny and convertor. To each there own but I would strongly recommend hooking it up so as soon as your finger moves off that button your system is activated. My .2 cents.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Yes... On the converter... as soon as the first light drops on a sportsmans tree it goes to the floor then launch..... I see what your saying but what I wonder about is how it's any different than a n/a 500 hp motor?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 PM
10 Second Club

Do you have anti ballon plates on the convertor? Have you ever seen a convertor swell? Plus I would think that it is not good for the motor. Even though it only for ( lets say 3-4 secs) Look at the heat that the motor is building but yet you are not really twisting any rpm's to get rid of this extra (125 shot) that the motor is seeing. Your valves probably wont like that?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts

I recommend having the nitrous disabled while on the TB and have it come on when you release the TB button. If you have a 2 step and find what rpm is best to leave at for your car it should leave even better that way.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 AM
Teching In

I do have anti ballon plates in my converter but I have not seen one swell....sounds bad.

I am going to make a few phone calls and go from there but I appreciate the feedback.

I have herd of people doing it but don't know any personally (except myself)so who knows.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

I would not spray on the brake. I would either wire it to be off when the brake is activated or move the window switch up just past the converter.