Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

very nasty metal on metal sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very nasty metal on metal sound

ive had a ticking for a while which i mistook for loose/bent pushrods, and after running the car on the hoist, it sounds like it was coming from the bellhousing area. well fast forward a few weeks/ month and a half t o today, all of the sudden i get some very ugly sounding metal sound. its only when the engine is near full load, at low rpms... 2500ish and lower, being the loudest around 1200 rpms under load. if i were cruising in 5th at 1200, and give it some good gas, that makes it really loud, other than that its not there except for the ticking sound. but its only with the engine under almost full load and wont do it up in the higher rpms unless im flooring it. also pretty bad clutch chatter for a while now though ive learned to smoothen it out mostly. i have no idea what this is except maybe a broken damper spring in the clutch disc? any ideas? best way to describe the sound is metal on metal rattling/scraping/grinding. clutch is about 4000 miles old installed by TDP tranmissions along with a rebuilt stage 2 trans. so i know it was done right, new pilot bearing and throwout bearing. i have no idea when i can pull the trans myself, this is my DD.

thanks a bunch guys
Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

If you can schedule a day to bring it to the shop, we can get it fixed in jsut a few hours. It's probably the clutch coming apart. If I remember correctly, it was a stock clutch? Or was it one you brought?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Smoked pressure plate.....?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

it was a ram musclecar series clutch, i was the guy who asked if you could do a surprise rebuild on my diff the same day lol, which btw you guys did an awesome job, still completely silent.

the clutch is supposed to hold bolt ons and ive been pretty gentle on it to protect my weak 10 bolt but maybe it just wasnt up to the task. if thats the case, what clutch would you recommend? i want something with smooth driveability and longevity, and of course no slipping. im guessing im maybe about 350hp at the crank. i dont go to the track but im flooring it pretty often. im thinking i dont like ram clutches right now lol.

the sound almost sounds like something maybe the throwout bearing scraping on the pressure plate fingers.

how much would labor be for the clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing if this is the case? i dont know if you remember me but if you do, do you know if my flywheel has enough meat on it to resurface it again? as far as making it up there, saturday or sunday might be good for me, does that work for you?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by timespayne
Smoked pressure plate.....?
im thinking so lol.... i was driving around duplicating the sound earlier hitting the gas while on the brakes, and when i really lay into the gas, the car shook to the sound of it like somethings snagging on the pressure plate fingers