Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" ORY over a 2.5" ORY

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 3" ORY over a 2.5" ORY

I just installed a get of MAC headers and a MAC ORY with bullet mufflers welded in. I really don't like the y-pipe at all. The bends area really crappy and it sounds like ***. It is very raspy even with the two bullets. The collector on the ory looks like ****, and I think there might be crap inside the y-pipe thats rattling around. With that said, I was looking into getting a 3" ORY made. Am I just wasting my time? I will probably have 3" bullets welded in also, and probably a Flowmaster collector if they made such a size. True duals is not an option. Does the larger diameter pipe reduce rasp? Will bullet mufflers be needed? In all honesty, my set-up right now it not THAT loud, and louder will be better. Will a 3" ORY make it louder? Thanks a lot!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

TTT...

I need some opinions, as I might be getting this done before the end of the week. Here's more of what I'm thinking. 3" y-pipe with Dynomax bullets welded in under the floorboards. Dual cutouts, one on each side right before the bullets, electric of course, then that goes back into the Crapmaster. I realize that two 3" pipes going into one 3" pipe is kinda pointless, but the cutouts will be open when the extra power is necessary.

Also, is the y-collector at the back of the y-pipe important in the way its made? Should I trust an exhaust shop to make this decent? I asked them if they can weld in a flowmaster collector, but they said they can do it themselves for $75.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 03-10-2004, 04:23 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my custom Y was 2.5" with carsound cats and 2.5 inlet/ 3" outlet flowmaster merge collector and i had no problems with it. you can see pics in at my site (sig). and why are duals not an option :shrug:, its obviously your not going the smog legal route so you might as well get the sound and power that duals offer.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had my friend make me a 3 inch oryp that replaced my mac oryp and it made a power gain but most important it removed all of my rasp. I should also add that he cut off the ball flanges off my macs. So i say go for it and you'll be happier in the end
Old 03-10-2004, 07:32 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

TallyTransam has a great sounding custom 3" Y-pipe with dual cutouts, merged into a 4" Flowmaster Collector, dumped into a Flowmaster 2 chamber race muffler. It sounds awesome and has no rasp. I think he also runs MACs.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
TallyTransam has a great sounding custom 3" Y-pipe with dual cutouts, merged into a 4" Flowmaster Collector, dumped into a Flowmaster 2 chamber race muffler. It sounds awesome and has no rasp. I think he also runs MACs.
The set-up i'm using sounds alot like his, minus the cut-outs... I'm running a pacesetter ory with a 3.5" flowmaster y-collector into a single in/single out Hooker aerochamber dumped before the rear fascia.... No rasp at all, very deep at idle & throaty as hell at wot.

Mike.