Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 truck pcm- electic fans

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99 truck pcm- electic fans

Like the tittle says I have a 99 truck pcm and I am trying to wire a high and low fan with it. Tuned the pcm to use both. Wired it like the camero: Blue connector pin #42 for low fan and red connector pin #33 for high fan. My low fan comes on, works great. The high fan pulses ground at all times, truck uses that pin for recirculation door. So my question is what pin would power the high fan on a truck pcm? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the info I have found on this is very unclear. So I am in for a good answer also.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I think it has something to do with the OS in the PCM...some of them aren't set up to trigger fans.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6.0Nova?
I think it has something to do with the OS in the PCM...some of them aren't set up to trigger fans.
What is OS? I have it running one fan already, didn't know if you cought that.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your PCM operating system is still setup to control the air recirc door. If your using HPTuners to tune it go to system>A/C>recirc option and set it to fan #2 instead of AC Recirc. Your wiring is correct, its the PCM tune thats off.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
Your PCM operating system is still setup to control the air recirc door. If your using HPTuners to tune it go to system>A/C>recirc option and set it to fan #2 instead of AC Recirc. Your wiring is correct, its the PCM tune thats off.
I tried to do this. I went in the editior to systems-ac and my only options were able and disable rpm and tps. Not sure why I cant get to the Recirc option?
Old 10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have this same issue. Pulses only.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 99 truck used a mechanical rad fan.

i know when guys do the e fan conversion on the trucks they buy a harness setup from a few tuners.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What version of HPTuners are you using? Might be only in the newer versions. I`m on 2.23.211 Beta
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by G-Body
What version of HPTuners are you using? Might be only in the newer versions. I`m on 2.23.211 Beta
Listen to this guy, he's right.

E-Mail Bill@hptuners and have them give you a link to download the newest Beta version. You will have a ton more options, including the one you need to get rid of the stupid pulsing output. Your screen, should look like this:

LOTS of new toys in the Beta version. They really need to update the current version with some of the goodies.

Your PCM will work fine after flashing the recirc option to Fan#2, or you can do as others have instructed and write a newer OS on as well, as long as it's the proper OS for your PCM.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

The Beta has some nice stuff..I'm using that too.

So if you un-pun the AC Recirc Door and move it to Fans what will that do?

Is that Pin the one that controls the Vent?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
The Beta has some nice stuff..I'm using that too.

So if you un-pun the AC Recirc Door and move it to Fans what will that do?

Is that Pin the one that controls the Vent?
Yes, you use the recirc door output for your Fan#2 control.

On the older trucks that do not have Efans, you will use pins#:

C1 (Blue) Pin # 42 = Low speed ground switched output.

C2 (Red) Pin # 33 = High speed ground switched ouput.

On the old version of HP tuners, you can switch the drop box to 2 fans, but when the 2nd fan comes on the output constantly cycles. With the Beta version of HP you can switch that fan #2 output to constant like the low speed output pin has, problem solved.

Be aware, not all versions of Beta are the same. They are constantly updating it with new features, but you will not know until you download, open and look around it it. I had an old version of Beta that didn't have ANY of this stuff in it. I found out by poking around on the HPTuners bulletin board that if you downloaded the newest version they had improved it yet again.

To the OP, get the latest Beta version and you'll have no problem using that PCM for 2 fans.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

K..so what will happen on the truck if you remove that wire? The recirc/outside air door wont work?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

No the recirc door will still function when you remove and sever that wire and use it for fans. Electricaly it's spliced into the recirc door activation circuit coming from the HVAC module. I belive the reasoning for the PCM being spliced into the recirc is for failure effects management mode. Basically, if the truck is starting to enter an overheat condition and the A/C is on, the PCM will command the recirc door to close. This will reduce heat load on the A/C system by not having to cool the hot ambient air from the outside, instead cooling the already cool cabin air, and by doing so keeping less heat being shed from the A/C condensor, which in turn puts less heat into the radiator.

Just my thoughts on why it's wired that way. But, electrically the A/C recirc will still function if this wire is depinned from the PCM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Ah ok.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info here. Time for HP tune Beta.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=96gt4.6;15542228]Listen to this guy, he's right.

E-Mail Bill@hptuners and have them give you a link to download the newest Beta version. You will have a ton more options, including the one you need to get rid of the stupid pulsing output. Your screen, should look like this:

LOTS of new toys in the Beta version. They really need to update the current version with some of the goodies

Great!! So is the HP update free?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=sum guy;15549501]
Originally Posted by 96gt4.6
Listen to this guy, he's right.

LOTS of new toys in the Beta version. They really need to update the current version with some of the goodies

Great!! So is the HP update free?
Yep, just give them an email sent to support@hptuners.com or bill@hptuners.com if I recall correctly. They will provide you a link on your login/customer access page with the beta link, free!

You will like Beta, it's a LOT better than the current version that hasn't been updated in like 4 years. They are always updating Beta so just because some of you guys might already HAVE beta, doesn't mean you got the most current version. This was what happened to me, and how I learned of it.

Quick Reply: 99 truck pcm- electic fans