Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD timing twister, help a turbo guy with a theory.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default MSD timing twister, help a turbo guy with a theory.

Ok first off I know I'm not in the right section since I am asking a turbo question, but since you nitrous guys deal seem to be more detail oriented when it comes to tunes, plugs, a/f ratio and timing and different modes to tune these parameters I am going to ask this question here.

I have been trying to think of an easy way without buying frost's dual pcm tune, or having to call my tuner or buddies whenever I need something done to my tune.

Now the only things in my tune I ever usually touch are the two spark octane tables (high and low) and my IAT spark. I've been really conservative thus far with timing(14* off the transbrake) and it's really showing in my 60' and 300' times with the car coming alive right after I go past the 60' timing marker when it commands 16*.

Here's what I was thinking, what if or could I use a MSD timing twister or the product FTP sells to pull timing, to pull timing when I drive it on the street with nothing but pump gas in it. This would allow me to (theoretically) run a hotter tune at the track when I'm adding race gas with my pump and get the most out of my tune, and then when I do drive it on the street( once maybe twice a week and not driving it hard) I can pull how ever much timing I deem safe.

Would this work? What do you guys think? I'm not buying hptuners or efilive at this time, it's just not in my budget with my motor coming out to be rebuilt soon and fuel system upgrades.

So should I just be satisfied and stuck where I am now, can I make this timing twister idea work? Should I put a couple more degrees timing in it and quit worrying all together? My buddy(member on here) also suggested doing the resistor mod trick that you nitrous guys do too to fool the IAT sensor into thinking the IAT's are high and pulling timing that way.