Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Right HID starts, flickers, then goes out

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Right HID starts, flickers, then goes out

Hopefully some guys that know a little more about HIDs can chime in.

I have the BLS Firebird low beam kit. Tonight I noticed that my right headlight didn't seem to be on while driving home (although oddly one left HID seems to work better than both stock lights). When I got home I turned the lights off and then restarted them. The right light fired and started to warm up, then it began to flicker. After probably a minute it turned off.

It was dark out (which was why I was using my headlights) so I didn't try to tear it apart or anything quite yet, just felt for the connectors to make sure they were on.

What is usually the cause of this? I have read that this could be either the bulb or the ballast, whereas some people have blamed wiring or grounds. I have had this kit on the car nearly a year and it has worked fine up until now so I don't think it would be the wiring. What is the best way to go about diagnosing a bulb versus ballast for HIDs?

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easiest way to check is to swap the ballasts from one side to the other. If the problem moves to the other side, then it is likely the ballast. If it stays on the one side, then its likely the lamp.

How good is your cars charging system? Any batt or alternator issues?

The ballasts carry a lifetime warranty through DDM but if its a lamp, those are only around $15 for a pair through DDM as well.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the response.

Makes sense to swap the ballast I suppose.

As far as charging, I think it is fine. I replaced the battery last December and have had no reason to distrust the alternator. It usually stays around the 13-14V range at idle with the lights on, although if it is hot or the AC is on and the high-speed fans come on it will briefly dip (it's an auto and I idle at 550rpm). It was idling in park when I tested it this evening.

Will plan to swap the ballast tomorrow morning and double check the wiring just to be sure.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

OK so good news and bad news I suppose.

I turned on the lights to flip them up and to check them again. The right one came on and stayed on this time. Let it run for a while and it didn't flicker at all. This was on battery power. I flipped them off and let it sit for a while and tried to check the wires and make sure the ground was secure and everything looked fine. Started the car and let it idle, and turned the lights back on and watched them as the car warmed up. The light still worked fine. After it was warmer I put it in gear so it would idle down to 550RPM and turned on the AC all the way to try to kick the high speed fans on to draw the most power... they eventually did but the light seemed to stay on fine. I didn't bother to tear into it and flip the ballasts since the right light was working anyway.

I suppose it is good that it was working this morning, but that doesn't help me figure out what was going on with it last night. Guess I will have to wait and see if it happens again.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange. Keep an eye on it and let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Right HID starts, flickers, then goes out