New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum leak coming from the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vacuum leak coming from the dash?

I have had a air leaking noise coming from the driver side dash ever since I bought my car a month ago. When I start my car, I hear the noise and it won't stop until the car is not running anymore. When I push in either the clutch or brake pedal, the sound isn't as loud, but it's still there. Anyone have any idea of what it could be? Do I have to take the dash apart and check all the AC/heater lines? Anyone know where I should start or have a similiar problem like this? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The climate control doors are operated by vacuum. There are numerous vacuum line trees in the dash. Eventually it will get bad enough that you will only have air coming out the defrost vents, as that is what it faults to when all vacuum is lost.

You need to have the leaking one replaced. It all depends on your skills and confidence, but most people need to have the dealer or another shop do this repair. I had mine done just today and it was only $73.00 with tax, labor and parts at the dealer. Mine was on the passenger side though, and it was bad enough that it was affecting the fan motor and I only had defrost function left.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

So, to fix the problem, I am gonna have to rip apart the dash and figure out what line(s) are leaking huh? This could suck, I really don't trust any dealership working on my car, I've always done everything on my other car. I am no top dog mechanic either, but I am gonna give it a try, rip apart the dash whenever I have a free day. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they are ALL accessable from under the dash, you DO NOT have to remove the actual dash I don't believe. The problem is trying find out which one has lost vacuum. There are several small "valves" on these lines, and any one of those valves can also be bad. The dealership has the ability to test them. I did not.

Let everyone know the final outcome. This site has very few threads dealing with this type of problem.

Last edited by 98Z-6Speed; 03-10-2004 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-10-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
I think they are ALL accessable from under the dash, you DO NOT have to remove the actual dash I don't believe. The problem is trying find out which one has lost vacuum. There are several small "valves" on these lines, and any one of those valves can also be bad. The dealership has the ability to test them. I did not.

Let everyone know the final outcome. This site has very few threads dealing with this type of problem.

Hmmm, going under the dash is gonna suck! I hated doing that on my vette. I was just doing to turn the car on and listen for the vacuum leak, and just feel around the lines to try and find the leak? Don't know if it will work, but if I do find the problem, I will post it and let everyone know, thanks for your help 98Z.