Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Ring Thickness/Material Recommendations for N20

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Ring Thickness/Material Recommendations for N20

I'm a little in over my head here trying to determine the best route to go for piston ring set for my new build. Pistons are 4.030 Wiseco -3 cc. I will be running a 150-200 shot of N20.

GFX steel top 2nd ring set was included with the rotating assembly I bought from TSP. Can I use the aforementioned 2nd ring set with the n20 shot? What about for the other two ring sets? What do you recommend? Manufacturer, thickness, gap, etc...?

I really appreciate any guidance/input on this. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

i guess no one knows
Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 AM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zman1
I'm a little in over my head here trying to determine the best route to go for piston ring set for my new build. Pistons are 4.030 Wiseco -3 cc. I will be running a 150-200 shot of N20.

GFX steel top 2nd ring set was included with the rotating assembly I bought from TSP. Can I use the aforementioned 2nd ring set with the n20 shot? What about for the other two ring sets? What do you recommend? Manufacturer, thickness, gap, etc...?

I really appreciate any guidance/input on this. Thanks!
What is the material of the 2nd ring? I bet its probably ductile iron... Any ways, the top rings should be fine(assuming there s/s) for what your are trying to do/achieve. Ring ends should probably be in the range of .020+ top and .024+ second. Your N20 shot is fairly small to what most N20 gods would say nowadays, but enlarging the ring gaps are still a must from keeping them from butting together when you do activate the spray. Your piston choice has already determined your ring thickness, now you just have to determine the right material package and gap. Stainless top stuff or moly rings work very well in this type of application, along with an iron napier style second ring. Ring end gaps are usually determined by engine use and style. Most ring manufactures will have a ring end gap sheet along with the rings to help you determine on were there should be at for your setup.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of wiseco pistons in my engine, I bought a ringset that they recommended specifically for nitrous. Believe the top ring was stainless or something not too sure what it is made of,, but they said to use that ringset for the spray.. IF you are not sure contact them and get a set.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Use the rings that came with the pistons, the GFX are a bad *** ring pack. 1.2/1.2/3.0mm Nitrided Steel Top/Napier 2nd. The sheet that Wiseco includes with the pistons are a good guideline on how to gap them. Have seen them ran on combinations with 400+ shot of nitrous with great success.

Quick Reply: Piston Ring Thickness/Material Recommendations for N20