Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing new speakers in 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Installing new speakers in 99 SS

Sorry if this comes off a little uninformed. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago and the speakers sound like total ***. I bought it because the price was right and it runs like a dream.

Anyway, my current plan is to replace all the stock speakers with the following:

Front Door Panel - Pioneer TS-A1780R 6 3/4 4 way

Rear Panel - Same as above
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QZRAtto...=1&cc=01&avf=Y

Rear Hatch - Pioneer TS-A1057 4 2 way
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QZRAtto...1057&s=0&cc=01

Does anyone see any problems with the above system? I have an 800W amp ready to go into the car, so power shouldnt be a problem. Ive also got a Pioneer DEH-7400MP for install sometime this weekend.

Crutchfield says the rear panel speakers are actually subwoofers, I havent taken off the panels to look but is this correct? If so what would be a better replacement for them, a decent set of 2 ways maybe?

If youve got any suggestions about this, even just to tell me Im a moron, post them here. Id really rather not spend $300 on audio components only to have them come out sounding terrible.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

read the posts stickied at the top of the page
Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Teching In

I looked through the first post of the threads, but didnt find much that answered my questions. Ill keep reading though.

In your opinion, would that speaker setup be alright with a new headunit and external amp?

EDIT: Im also having problems coming up with the right size speakers for the panels... SoundDomain.com says 7' while Crutchfield.com has them at 6 3/4 and some websites say 6 1/2.

Last edited by Schwack; 03-10-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schwack
I looked through the first post of the threads, but didnt find much that answered my questions. Ill keep reading though.

In your opinion, would that speaker setup be alright with a new headunit and external amp?

EDIT: Im also having problems coming up with the right size speakers for the panels... SoundDomain.com says 7' while Crutchfield.com has them at 6 3/4 and some websites say 6 1/2.
6.5's are fine... if youre going to run an external amp I'd toss the far rear speakers.. put in the 6.5s in the front doors and rear sail panels, and then use an amp to power a sub for bass. The sail panels speakers are subs, and if you put regular speakers there the bass is gonna suck, IF you still use the factory amp... Otherwise the sky is the limit....
Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Teching In

Thank you so much man, Ive been agonizing over whether or not to buy these things for a week now.

I just wanted to hear one person, with Camaro experience, to tell me this would work.

So should I just clip the rears wiring and cap it off?

One problem I have with a subwoofer is that the trunkspace is all reserved for the T-Tops... Im sure theres some way to mount a box back there so Ill keep looking around here. Thanks again!
Old 03-11-2004, 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a search on t top space and youll find what your looking for.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Schwack
Thank you so much man, Ive been agonizing over whether or not to buy these things for a week now.

I just wanted to hear one person, with Camaro experience, to tell me this would work.

So should I just clip the rears wiring and cap it off?

One problem I have with a subwoofer is that the trunkspace is all reserved for the T-Tops... Im sure theres some way to mount a box back there so Ill keep looking around here. Thanks again!
theres a box called the "stealthbox" which fits in that little cubbyhole on the left side of the trunk. That would be perfect for you....
Old 03-11-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

The rear sail panels have a 6 3/4" hole so a 6 1/2" speaker will not fit as easily because the bolt hole spacings are made for the "oversize" speaker. I know this from my own experience. A 6 1/2 will work but it takes more time to install becuase the hole is just a little too big. The fronts are a 6 1/2" hole. The front aftermarket speakers will hit the inside of the door panel and buzz when the cone goes out, like when you have any real power going into them. The door panels will also resonate to any lower pitch sounds, like between 60 and 120 cycles. Therefore,
(1) I cut out a speaker mount from 1/4" MDF and bolted it to the door and the stock podlike thing, and silicone-caulked it in too; and,
(2) I used 3 little bits of styrofoam about 2" x1/2" x 1" and taped them into the metal door panel, so when the cosmetic door panel goes back on, it is held-off about 1/4" so the speaker cone doesn't hit it and buzz.

Also, you really only need mid-bass speakers in the sail panels (and don't put anything in the stock so-called subwoofer locations). Tweeters there make the soundstage move back and it sounds confused.

Components in the front are good idea, because you don't want the tweeters aimed across each other and at the floor, but where to mount the tweeter? Tastes vary here. Mine are mounted at the bottom corners of the dash, about 2-3 inches from the 6 1/2" midrange so they are phased just right but the soundstage is lower than most people like.

I bought relatively cheap JBL GTO component speakers (like $110) and spent some time on a good install and the sound is really good. The sail panel speakers are about $80 but I could have left them out altogether without any loss in sound quality. Now I'm building a subwoofer box and that should be done in about a week.

Last edited by Tom L. Busby; 03-11-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Tom has some good thoughts...and I agree with most of them. Just to clear some things up...the sail panel speakers are the ones that are beside the back seats, NOT to be confused with the hatch speakers (the small speakers farthest back in the car). The sail panel speakers are "subs" from the factory. As far as where you go from there, I would definitely go components up front. I mounted my tweeters in the a pillars firing parallel to the glass, but you can mount them in various places. In back, I kept my hatch speakers because unlike most competition setups, I prefer to have rear fill because I dont like to imagine that Im at a concert and the band is in front of me; I would prefer for it to feel like I am immersed in the middle of the music. My advice is get a nice set of fronts, put them in, and go from there. Then you will see what you want to add in to the rest of the sytem. Also, check out subthump.com for some subwoofer setups in ttop cars.

Let us know what you decide to do!