New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serpentine belt or alternator pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default serpentine belt or alternator pulley?

Me and friend switched out an alternator on my ls1 formula earlier this summer. The car was running great and just recently I began hearing this chirping sound at idle which drove me nuts and when I would hit the gas it would go away. I narrowed it down and it turns out that it is either the belt itself which does look to be a little worn, or it may be the alternator pulley itself. The problem is the friend I have who was helping me went away to school and I most likely won't see him until around Christmas time. If i spray wd40 inside the pulley where the bolt pretty much is the chirping sound goes away and its smooth driving for a few days. How hard would it be to change the pulley? Is it a pain to remove and what tools would I need. I figured I would just do the pulley and the belt at the same time and not worry about either one. What tools would I need and what pulley and belt would you guys go with?

thanks in advance guys you have always helped me with all my Ls1 issues and I am always learning and grateful.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's cheaper to throw in a new belt and generally quicker and if it's worn like you say, there should be no reason why you have not thrown one in ther already.

If the alternator has an issue, it should be warrenty work so I hope you kept the recipts, do not try to disassemble unless you know what you are doing. Most work I have ever done on a alternator is to "clock" it as the case was mis-built and I had to remove the long bolts, pull up and rotate 90 deg, and re bolt.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FoRmULa_BiRd
Me and friend switched out an alternator on my ls1 formula earlier this summer. The car was running great and just recently I began hearing this chirping sound at idle which drove me nuts and when I would hit the gas it would go away. I narrowed it down and it turns out that it is either the belt itself which does look to be a little worn, or it may be the alternator pulley itself. The problem is the friend I have who was helping me went away to school and I most likely won't see him until around Christmas time. If i spray wd40 inside the pulley where the bolt pretty much is the chirping sound goes away and its smooth driving for a few days. How hard would it be to change the pulley? Is it a pain to remove and what tools would I need. I figured I would just do the pulley and the belt at the same time and not worry about either one. What tools would I need and what pulley and belt would you guys go with?

thanks in advance guys you have always helped me with all my Ls1 issues and I am always learning and grateful.
i had this exact problem soon after buying my camaro. drove me ******* nuts, was louder after raining for some reason, turned out to be the a/c tensioner on the bottem of the car, had a crack in it. once i go the new tensioner on never heard it again. my friends car did it to but there wasnt a noticible crack in any tensioner. my advice is to get under the car while its running and get your ear close to that a/c tensioner to verify if its comming from that. mine sounded like it was comming from anywhere had to get real close to confirm where.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by 98FoRmULa_BiRd
If i spray wd40 inside the pulley where the bolt pretty much is the chirping sound goes away and its smooth driving for a few days. How hard would it be to change the pulley?
If this is the case, then I'd just get that alternator replaced under warranty. It should still be covered if you just did it this summer.

But it never hurts to change the belt if you can see that the current one is worn.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree if the alt is under warrenty them replace it. its not hard to do