Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sticking cluth pedal and fluid loss. Yes, I've read the stickies.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sticking cluth pedal and fluid loss. Yes, I've read the stickies.

Out of the blue about 2 weeks ago, my car started with the (what I have now learned is infamous) clutch sticking to the floor, and needing to be pumped to get the pedal to return. I've never driven this car hard and its never pulled this stunt during high speed shifts, which I havent done in years. I topped the (admittedly dirty) fluid off and the problem went away, but it has returned every few days and I'm noticing the reservoir is visibly lower-once its refilled to the line the car is almost always fine again.

Anyway the whole point of this is Im trying to be a little more detailed with my problems to help diagnose wether its fixable with a flush (which I doubt since I seem to be losing fluid), a master cylinder (which I'm hoping), and not the slave cylinder-which would render this car a 3400lbs paperweight because I'm a broke jobless graduate. Is there any place the master is prone to visibly leaking so I can confirm whether or not its that? Thanks for any help.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Top off your reservoir and pump your clutch for 3-5minutes then look under your car, if fluid is dripping out of the weep hole in the bottom of your bell housing then it's your slave cylinder. You should stop driving it either way or you my end up with a 3400lb paper weight parked at a stoplight, also if it leaks onto you clutch/flywheel you'll be replacing them to. A new slave is only $65 at Autozone, if you can change it yourself.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace clutch

This may sound like a dumb question, but if fluid was on the clutch and preassure plate, why would it need to be replaced? Im wondering because I had the same scenario with a brand new LS7 clutch set up and the POS still doesnt work...
Old 11-11-2011, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rams00WS6
This may sound like a dumb question, but if fluid was on the clutch and preassure plate, why would it need to be replaced? Im wondering because I had the same scenario with a brand new LS7 clutch set up and the POS still doesnt work...
Fluid can soak into the pressure plate causing the disc to become contaminated and prematurely wear and come apart. It's not going to effect the overall operation of the unit.

Quick Reply: Sticking cluth pedal and fluid loss. Yes, I've read the stickies.