Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Effect of flywheel weights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Effect of flywheel weights?

Ok, a few months back, I took the plunge and had a T56 swapped into my 1991 Trans Am GTA. The transmission was out of a 97 Camaro SS so it's the LT1 style, but it also came with the a Ram aluminum flywheel and a Spec Stage 3 clutch. I am NOT a fan of the Spec 3 clutch. On top of that, the motor has developed a rear main oil seal leak so the tranny/clutch/flywheel has to come out again to replace that seal.

I figure while I'm getting all that done, I'm going to replace the clutch with a McLeod. As for the flywheel, I was thinking to go with something heavier to get more driveability out of the car. The Ram aluminum flywheel I have in there now is 18 lbs. The stock LT1 iron flywheel is 20 lbs. I know that it's rotating mass, but does 2 lbs really make a difference in terms of reliability?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

2lbs won't make any difference. My Fidanza flywheel on a 440rwhp LS1 was only 13lbs I believe. The next owner put on an LS7 clutch/LS2 flywheel (steel) combo which was probably 25lbs heavier. He said it rev'd nowhere near like before.

Only difference with a lightweight flywheel is you need to give it a little more gas from the get go.