Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'87 Camaro subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '87 Camaro subframe connectors

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to put a cage in my 87 camaro but i also need subframe connectors. I'm defintily going to by a roll cage kit since that would be too hard to bend and cut everything perfect like a kit would come ready to go BUT in terms of the subframe connectors are these something that are worth the money or can I just weld in some tubular steel in and save my self $150?

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Also if it is worth my time to purchase a kit which of these two should i get? The cheaper one comes with out the ladderbar cross member, I'm not sure how nessacary that is. FWIW right now it probably only has around 350WHP so I know i dont NEED a cage but I have the gears turning in my head and hopefully within a year it will have a T56 and 4:11's or steeper in the rear + it's the I roc with T-tops so i dont want one to pop one out from torquing the chassis under the acceleration. What I'm getting at is I dont want to take any short cuts to save $100 bucks. If the $210 kit is what i need then I'll get it but if I could get the same strength from scrap steel I can get for next to nothing I'm going that route.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

No body???
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a set of weld-in UMI's, they are on sale right now at byunspeed. i believe the part number is 2400.

by the way, your link doesn't work.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

subframe connectors and cage is a must for ttops no matter the power. Im building a 900+ ho blown lq9 82. i went to an extreme with mine: hand built full frame with mild steal box tubing and 16 point cage by hand. My car is keeping the ttops and after seeing the body flex with the chas on the rotsiery, the extra support is a must. If you are handy with a bender and a tig, go for the fab. if not, by kits to buy are good but still need tweaking to fit our cars (just fyi) especially the main hoop bottem points are not exactly where they belong. If you need and help or got any specific question, feel free to ask. Ive had to re-enginer this car from the ground up for the past two years and have learned much in the process!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, if you are skilled enough to fab them yourself, then I would.

Quick Reply: '87 Camaro subframe connectors