Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 911SC Targa LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 911SC Targa LSX Swap

Hey everyone i've been browsing around the forums for a few weeks now and I came across this thread regarding a budget ls1 swap. Pardon my misuse of engine and tech terms, I'm a moto guy and things are a lot more simple on those motors. haha.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-1500-a-7.html

Although 90% of porsche people will say to leave it alone, I'm hoping i can dodge some disses So my father gave me the keys to his 1978 911SC. A year or two back we ripped the motor to fix a few leaky seals and found that over half the cylinder studs were broken and there were many more problems. (I am planning on selling the stock motor for what its worth). I've seen videos of these cars on youtube with v8 motors but none on any forums where i can get some information. I've decided to use a 6.0L LQ4 motor as they are cheaper than LS1's and power x weight seems favorable. Plus, (not trying to start a debate) I've heard them to be more reliable when stepping up power from NA to FI.
I will purchase the swap kit from either Porchev or Renegade motors and the adapter plate to use the stock tranny. The rest seems to be up in the air and Since this swap is starting off as budget, id hope to use as many stock (truck) parts as possible. Once the car is running id upgrade from there as id like to make this car performance. I'll probably get bashed for saying this, but imagine it was a 240sx not a porsche.
I'll post some pics of the car tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails 1978 911SC Targa LSX Swap-screen-shot-2011-11-21-1.28.43-am.jpg   1978 911SC Targa LSX Swap-screen-shot-2011-11-21-1.28.52-am.jpg  

Last edited by KSKENE; 11-21-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Teching In

I guess my question is... What stock motor parts can I use in the swap? water pump? fuel pump? any help is appreciated!
Old 06-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Well, first of all, youre taking a huge weight penalty with 6.0 truck engine. That will effect the handling. This is actually the cool thing about the LS1 in this car-it weighs less than the stock motor. And I dont know how many high performance 911s youve ridden in, but a mild LS1 puts down about twice the HP as a turbo of the same age. Without a truck load of money, youre not going top be able to use all that power in that chassis. Leave it stock, use an aluminum block engine, get it running and you wont quit grinning for a year-or until you wrap it around a tree because you out drove the chassis and brakes.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

75lbs isn't huge
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by philntx
75lbs isn't huge
True, at least not in the passenger seat. But 75lbs 2 foot beyond the back wheels will be felt. And though the 6.0 is still lighter than the stock turbo motor, this isnt a turbo. And if hes using the stock tranny, and he wants bang for the buck, maybe a 4.8 would work better. 4.8s are cheaper than 6.0s and probably wont break the tranny. And with an easy 300HP he would still be a happy camper. Not to mention the MPG.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KSKENE
I guess my question is... What stock motor parts can I use in the swap? water pump? fuel pump? any help is appreciated!
Water pump, no. Fuel pump is in the tank-doesnt come with the motor. Maybe the alternator, maybe the A/C compressor if you are needing that. Starter, maybe, but you may want to use the stock Porsche one.

Quick Reply: 1978 911SC Targa LSX Swap