Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how realistic are my goals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how realistic are my goals?

I've done more trolling on here than commenting hence the low post count and recent membership, but I am new to the LS1 community and am looking at getting an f-body LS1 with the T-56.

The reason I want to get an LS1 is because;
1. I've always wanted a Camaro (family has always had Camaros)
2. I'm crossing over from the Cobalt community and have put all the bolt-ons I can and squeezed the last hp (310whp/383wtq) out of my car before having to think about a larger turbo and building a bottom end. and before i drop that coin i will have to think about being able to lay it down to the pavement since its FWD.
3. There is more options and cheaper routes to take with the LS1 as well as infinite possibility

The my idea for the LS1 is roughly 600rwhp, I was wondering if it is possible to get those numbers with stock bore and stroke with a bigger single front mount turbo setup?

I plan on keeping the stock crank since I've read that it can hold upwards of 1000hp. forged rods and pistons. not sure on what heads i want to go with but I've been reading that the best throttle body would be the 90mm with the f.a.s.t. intake. From what I've read it should be a safe HP range for the motor since the typical failure point is the rings and rods once you get past 500 on stock internals.

That's the general idea I have for my project. I will be starting to take this to Virginia International Racetrack for the occasional open track day and the weekend drive. I know there is alot that needs to be upgraded other than the engine but I just wasnt sure if it was possible to safely get the numbers I want.

please feel free to give suggestions to get the hp goal and yet keep as close as possible to the original build because I don't think that I want to stroke/bore out the motor, n2o, or ect. From what I've seen the route I'm looking to take seems to be the cheapest/safest way to get to my goal.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have seen close to 600rwhp on a stock short block with a safe tune and meth on a couple Procharged Ls1 cars.

That being said my own car with a forged 347, stock, stock 241 heads, stock ls6 intake, and stock 78mm TB, and 13psi from a Procharger put down 676rwhp on 93 and Meth. That was through a T56 and a 9" rear.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

awesome, i thought it was pretty realistic from what ive been reading but lately ive seen a few with the 383 stroker kit and the iron block. i was concerned with the iron block because an older hot rod magazine article they were talking about how the LS1 aluminum block would only be able to handle up to 500 hp and then you would have to switch to the Iron block. but i have seen otherwise just wanted to make sure.

For a rear axle i plan on going with a 9" i assume that it would be strongest and be great for road courses.

so i think ill keep with my goals and instead of running meth i will probably be going to E-85 or a E-47 blend. ive read the benefits of E-85 over E-47 is just the ease of just putting straight E and no mixture with a very slight hp gain but in winter when the get down to E-70 or whatever you would need to change your tune. granted I will most likely never drive it in winter but i know they step their way down to the E-70 through the fall.

thanks for the info, i want to build it right the first time and i think the only thing im compromising is the crank but that is good to 1000+ hp so i still have room for improvement over my goals if i need to.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your using good rods and pistons you will be good far beyond 600. There are a bunch of supporting nods as it sounds like you already know. Plan for much more than 600 because you'll get bored quick and want more like all of us.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lmt0705
If your using good rods and pistons you will be good far beyond 600. There are a bunch of supporting nods as it sounds like you already know. Plan for much more than 600 because you'll get bored quick and want more like all of us.
thats what i was afraid of! haha. but im feeling good about the planned build now since ive got some confirmation. atleast i know i have room for improvement if i do decide to keep going for more.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've made 720 rwhp through a 9" on a 11:1 stock bottom end LS1 with 130,000 miles and 11.5 lbs of boost. Put about 5000 boosted miles on it so far but usually stay around 8 lbs of boost. On 7lbs of boost I was right at 580 rwhp with a little less efficient turbo. It's doable no doubt but some people can blow them up in stock form.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

so what heads are people recommending, ive been reading 317, PRC, ect. i plan on using the LS9 gasket with ARP bolts. I know the PRC heads are pretty much the best out there but if I can get the goals i want with the ported 317 with a high LSA cam. I also read that the 243 have a higher flow rate when ported than the 317s but I'm not sure about that. I DEFINITELY don't want to choose the wrong heads and blow head gaskets.

I hate always asking basic questions but I'm not used to the MILLIONS of options and paths to take to get to where I want to be. thank you for your patience and input.

maybe as i get closer to my purchase i start talking to a reputable performance shop or vendor on here and discuss what they have seen, but alot of them chime in. I just need some more information on what works so i can get this build planned and spend more time budgeting! haha

Quick Reply: how realistic are my goals?