Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Dilemma!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Dilemma!!!

Ok this is quite long but bear with me here

A couple of weeks ago we took off the calipers to paint them .... letting the system run dry (Big mistake, im retarded i know) ... so when we put them back in .... we had air in the master cylinder....we took off the master cylinder and bench bled it till it had nothing but fluid running through it (no air bubbles whatsoever) .... so we go to bleed the brakes again in order... and we get a really soft pedal ... so figuring we have air in the ABS modulator ...

we decide to have it done right and I go take it to the dealership on this past monday ... they take the car and said it will be taken in later in the afternoon to get it done. Figuring it will be a quick job I take shuttle back to my house. Hours go by and no call from them.... so about 10 minutes or so I go down to the dealership to see whats up with the car. They cant get any pedal whatsoever on the car and it would be sometime tomorrow till it will be done.

So then on Tuesday I get a call about noonish saying the car is done. Im really excited to see how the car will drive with the suspension mods... I go down there pay the bill .. grab the keys and get to my car.... I start it ... back out .... go for the brake... still a spongy pedal and goes straight for the floor. So I had to run errands so I didnt take it back immediately.

So Wed. I take it back to the dealership .. they said they would re-bleed the brakes at no charge to me. About 3 hours later I get a call saying its done. I go back down and they told me to call back and tell them how the brakes functioned... I get in my car ... back out... and its still the same.... I get back to my house and call them and they said to swing back by and they will have the Service Manager drive the car. I get back in my car and drive down to the dealership and have the manager drive my car. He flat out says that something isnt right with the brakes ... and said similar trucks with the same ABS unit have had problems bleeding the brakes... and tells me to leave the car there over night and he had a few tricks to get this thing bled right. So I oblige and leave it there.

Thursday goes by .... no call ...

So Friday the day goes by and no word... so about 20 minutes before they closed I go down there and check on the car ... the advisor says that they come to an agreement that the master cylinder o-rings are shot and needs to be replaced. And says it will be about $202 for a aftermarket & $298 for a AC delco MC ... but theyre not totally sure on it ... but want me to go for the AC Delco since its a "nice car".

THey asked if I wanted to take the car back or have the manager look at it next Monday ... i told them to keep the car and have him look at it .... but later regreted and wish I had taken back the car ...

can anyone help me here? What would be a sign of a Master Cylinder failure? Seemed fine when we bench bled it ... or am I missing something here..
Old 03-13-2004, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does sound similar to a MC failure and a rebuild kit is only about $40 ...
Old 03-15-2004, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! That is pretty scary! BECAUSE, I had the same exact thing happen to me! Except for all the dealership stuff. I took all 4 calipers off almost 3 years ago to polish them when I installed my KVR cross-drilled rotors, Earl's SS brake lines and SLP Eibach springs. I took my time with everything and didn't put the calipers back on for about 2 weeks. SAME THING - couldn't get a pedal back! I asked questions on the boards and got some great feedback. After double checking everything and bleeding at all four corners until I had pumped out about 2 quarts of brake fluid - I was ready to give up. I even bought one of the nice vacuum pump brake bleeding kits which helped the process but didn't change the results. But ultimately - I just bled and bled and bled the system at the ABS unit probably 50 times (seriously) with the car running and the brakes finally came around. It was insane. But, I never had to take the Master Cylinder off and never had to take it to the dealer and too this day have never had a problem with the brake system in any way.

So, I guess at this point you will have to see what your dealer ends up saying unfortunately - but if you get the car back you could try what I did and see if it ever comes around - and if not/ OR - take the MC back off yourself and put in a "kit" as noted above and see if that solves the problem. Good luck! Patrick