Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spark plugs should I use for my 1998 cammed Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What spark plugs should I use for my 1998 cammed Z28?

So I recently did my cam and didn't replace the valve seals while I was in there and the motor having I think 110,000 miles on the clock or less anyways I fired it up and noticed that it was smoking a bit so now I have to do double the work which is no biggie since it's pretty easy to do anyway just time consuming. Since I already removed all the plugs which plugs should place in there that are readily available at the local Autozone or O'reily Parts store. Which would ya'll recommend and what gaping?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C'mon nobody has any comments or input?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

NGK tr5's and gap to .055 or tr55's which are pre gap.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

waiting for a reply as well im going to install a cam in a couple of months
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Rockstar

Smoke could be from any number of things, what makes you think it's the valve stem seals? it could just as easily be poor piston ring seals for starters. That's not many miles either.
Just tell them stock plugs for your car. They're just damn spark plugs.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NGK TR55 spark plugs will work fine in your setup.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

E3 thats what i use...serious

edit: ooh **** i see in your sig you have E3 plugs, why not keep using them?

Last edited by disc0monkey; 12-01-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM
9 Second Club

My thinking is a little different than others but i wouldn't put anything hotter than a tr6 in a cam, bolt-on car. Stock heat range is tr55 so when you raise cylinder pressure with the larger cam you need to reduce some heat.

I spray a boat load of spray so maybe I'm just too careful, I run #9 non-projected tips.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
E3 thats what i use...serious

edit: ooh **** i see in your sig you have E3 plugs, why not keep using them?
They give me more horsepower than I can handle
Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 AM
11 Second Club

Another vote for the NGK TR55. Used them for a few years before I went to nitrous and a colder plug.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:18 AM
12 Second Club

They aren't cheap if u got A set that works I would leave them
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carter01
My thinking is a little different than others but i wouldn't put anything hotter than a tr6 in a cam, bolt-on car. Stock heat range is tr55 so when you raise cylinder pressure with the larger cam you need to reduce some heat.

I spray a boat load of spray so maybe I'm just too careful, I run #9 non-projected tips.
Larger cams actually lower the cylinder pressure by holding the intake valves open longer. That's why the intake closing angle is used to calculate DCR. N/A up to 11.5:1 compression I use TR-55's.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.3LJimmy
Larger cams actually lower the cylinder pressure by holding the intake valves open longer. That's why the intake closing angle is used to calculate DCR.
If a bigger cam lowers cylinder pressure, then what's the use of a bigger cam?

The CR and amount of HP put out by a cylinder is directly related to the effective cylinder pressure (BMEP). A higher charged cylinder will make more power than a lower charged cylinder. That's what increased VE and FI is all about also.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
If a bigger cam lowers cylinder pressure, then what's the use of a bigger cam?

The CR and amount of HP put out by a cylinder is directly related to the effective cylinder pressure (BMEP). A higher charged cylinder will make more power than a lower charged cylinder. That's what increased VE and FI is all about also.
This is this reason camshaft manufacturers have suggested compression ratios for the cams they sell. Larger cams require more static compression to raise the cylinder pressure to the same level as it would be with a smaller cam. Big cams always trade low end torque for high RPM horsepower.

I don't want to get into an overly complicated discussion about camshaft design and pumping efficiency blah, blah, blah. But I can assure you that given the same intake centerline a lobe with 230 degrees duration will have less cranking compression than one with 220 degrees.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running 11.5 to 1 SCR and have been running TR55s.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

This is this reason camshaft manufacturers have suggested compression ratios for the cams they sell. Larger cams require more static compression to raise the cylinder pressure to the same level as it would be with a smaller cam. Big cams always trade low end torque for high RPM horsepower.

I don't want to get into an overly complicated discussion about camshaft design and pumping efficiency blah, blah, blah. But I can assure you that given the same intake centerline a lobe with 230 degrees duration will have less cranking compression than one with 220 degrees.
Cranking compression pressure and compression pressure at 5000 RPM are two different animals - Volumetric Efficiency (VE) at low RPM will suffer with radical cam lobe overlaps. A more aggressive cam will boost power in a certain RPM range (usually the higher RPM) due to increased VE in that RPM range ... which means the cylinders must be charging at a higher level in order to put out increased torque and HP. You can not increase power output from an Otto cycle engine by decreasing the cylinder pressure while leaving everything else constant.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 12-06-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use the acdelco in my cammed car and runs good.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Cranking compression pressure and compression pressure at 5000 RPM are two different animals - Volumetric Efficiency (VE) at low RPM will suffer with radical cam lobe overlaps. A more aggressive cam will boost power in a certain RPM range (usually the higher RPM) due to increased VE in that RPM range ... which means the cylinders must be charging at a higher level in order to put out increased torque and HP. You can not increase power output from an Otto cycle engine by decreasing the cylinder pressure while leaving everything else constant.
I agree. The cam will have a point of maximum pumping efficiency and will have a scavenging effect to better fill the cylinders. Does a cam actually need to increase cylinder pressure to make more power? Or can it make more power by simply allowing the engine to turn more RPM? After all horsepower is only the calculation derived by multiplying the torque times the RPM and dividing by 5252.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

I agree. The cam will have a point of maximum pumping efficiency and will have a scavenging effect to better fill the cylinders.

Does a cam actually need to increase cylinder pressure to make more power? Or can it make more power by simply allowing the engine to turn more RPM? After all horsepower is only the calculation derived by multiplying the torque times the RPM and dividing by 5252.
If a cylinder is charged/filled higher (better VE), it will certainly make more power. Therefore, a more radical camshaft that allows the cylinder to charge better will give you more HP. That's the main reason people install more racical cams, to obtain more HP ... usually near the top RPM range.

The pressure from the combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder is what causes the torque on the crankshaft. More torque results in more horsepower at the same RPM. As you said, HP = (T x RPM)/5252. You can also get more HP from higher RPM ... T and RPM are the only two variables that result in HP, as can be seen in the HP equation.

Also, on a side note, forced induction (ie, turbo or supercharger) "force feeds" the cylinders to create a VE well over 100%, which obviously can create a lot of power. The HP an engine produces is just a function of how much cylinder pressure you can create. Charging the cylinders higher always results in higher combustion pressure, higher torque and higher horsepower.

Quick Reply: What spark plugs should I use for my 1998 cammed Z28?