Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: procharger or turbo???
turbo
50.00%
procharged
50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

want opinions from people who have switch from procharger to turbo!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want opinions from people who have switch from procharger to turbo!!

cant really make up my mind on which route to go with the new build its going in a 71 camaro forged 383 and 6 speed ls of course.... have been very held up on which way to go and wanted to see some opinions from people who have gone either way. i want the car to be reliable and the whole turbo thing scares me cause of the stories you hear the car will either be a d1sc or something liek a single 88 mm and the car is a driver i wont be driving it everyday but i will drive the car alot and if i want to drive it every day i want to be able to without having to worry let me know what your guys input is and why thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its really hard to beat the power of a turbo
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well never had procharger but I had a friend (speedracer5532) had a F1R on his 427 lsx and had lots of problems with the belts slipping and even when he went to a cog setup he still had problems but he made like 950whp on pump gas and t56 and went 9.70's....but if you are hardcore on the stick go procharger if you wanna go fast well pretty much no lag with the stick compaired to turbo and stick....but im a diehard turbo guy had built a couple 500whp turbo hondas and then made the switch to turbo f bodies....i love how the power comes in on a turbo car for sure and how easy it is a turn the power up no pulleys and **** lol.... but now im building a bmw 328 with turbo and 4l80. I daily drove my 500hp crx for 2 years and didnt have many powers with it and i would not be scared at all to daily drive a turbo f body either....your gonna have problems with both either way....in my opinion if you dont want problems go heads and cam.....as anytime you start forcing air in a motor the problems will start sooner or later...lol
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from a Kenny Bell to a twin turbo setup on my 04 Cobra and, I will say it was the best decision I could have made. I seemed to have a hell of a time keeping belts and drive ability in it with the blower. The turbo gave me more reliability not only in the drive but in the numbers as well. The car was more consistent and efficient.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say it all depends on what kind of power you wanna make. I think a single 88 is capable of making a ton more power than a d1sc. If you don't want more than about 650-700 rwhp, a properly setup D1sc will have zero reliabilty issues. Most (I said most, not all) of the guys with belt issues on a D1sc don't have their **** lined up right, have the wrong size blower pulley on, the wrong belt, the wrong tensioner or some combination of these. If you do it right, you'll have zero belt issues with a D1sc.

If you want more than 650-700rwhp, then the 88 would get my vote.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

turbo is more efficient (no wasted exhaust energy + no load on engine accessory ) .
Old 12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried to learn from everyone else's lessons with a procharger and went straight to a D1SC, 8-rib setup, with Aster's bracket from Bob@Brutespeed, as well as a twin in tank setup from Lonnie's and a front mount intercooler.

I have only put 300-400 miles on it so far, but knock on wood it's been fine. Right now, my shortblock and rear are my weak links that need to be addressed before too long.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

I never owned a procharged car so I can't say what it's like at all. What I can tell you is with the right turbo and engine combo it is like nothing else. The way the power comes in and the way it feels like it's never gonna stop pulling..... My vote is naturally turbo only because I never even been in a procharged car.

Guessing you are the one looking at Dan's pt88? I think that turbo and your cubic inches would be a good match BTW.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i am the one looking at dans turbo the thing im worried about is being reliable and having issues like exhaust leaks and the usual turbo issues you hear about i really want to go turbo
Old 12-13-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

going to get a p1sc car tuned tomorrow. not what you were asking about, but ill let you know how it goes if you're interested. stock short block, stock crank pulley and 3.70", long tubes, 4.10's, and tune.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

i have found turbo setups to be very reliable. superchargers in general feel "limited" right off the bat, because of their linear nature. bird is right never feels like it's gonna stop pullin'
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Banned

I love my P1SC on my 99 SS..but if I knew someone who would trade me their well put together and reliable turbo setup and make it even swap..then i would trade them mainly because superchargers boost goes up and down going by engine RPM and pulley speeds..but a turbo..once at full boost say in a drag strip run..will stay at full boost (in an automatic especially)..therefore more power through the run..or atleast thats what im told
Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mean94lt1
yeah i am the one looking at dans turbo the thing im worried about is being reliable and having issues like exhaust leaks and the usual turbo issues you hear about i really want to go turbo
If everything is put together well the exhaust leaks shouldn't be an issue. Plus it's nothing a welder can't take care of.

Yes there are pros and cons for both. I have seen both supercharged cars and turbo cars/ trucks go thousands of miles without issue..... It's all about a solid setup and tune
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Less things to go wrong with a sc in my opinion, I keep threatening to go turbo every year but keep getting talked out of it by some very reputible sponsors.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how mine is going to run yet because I haven't started it but I went with an F1A from BruteSpeeed. I will also be using the C5 front drive with an A&A Superchargers bracket and eight rib setup. A lot of Procharged Vets run pretty good with their front drive systems. By the way, this is in a 82 Monte Carlo.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I love montecarlos!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default can't compare

i have a procharger / supercharger on my stock ls1 w / longtubes & 410's. I don't drag race it but it has 448 rwhp(dynoed) 517 on crank & i've never had it slip & it feels like it never stops pulling. either way have fun. more power.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I kicked the idea about going turbo but I think I will stay with the f1r, yes there are problems with both but I think the turbo can cause more problems, oil lines, to much back pressure, lag, and genarly have to cut the car to front mount, the blower does put a **** ton of strees on the snout of the crank but at most it might throw a belt
Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

I have owned (and tuned) quite a few turbo cars and tuned several supercharged cars and in general we have seen less issues on a well set up turbo car. We generally try to talk customer into turbo systems when they start talking about superchargers and big power. The only superchargers I tend to be ok with are the roots style, but even these can have belt issues if not set up properly.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a procharged 427 a few years back... so annoying and loud whine. Also Procharger has the worst customer service i ever dealt with... a bunch of ******** for real. I had a belt come apart and wrap around the shaft and take out the seal. They wouldnt sell me a seal, wouldnt help me at all... all they wanted was the unit sent back in so they could go through it for a lot of money. It wasnt under warranty or anything... they were just money hungry dicks. I took the seal to Napa where they measured it and I got a new one for $3. But after them being dicks to me on the phone i'll never buy anything from them again..

.....And besides....after having a few turbo setups..its less maintenance, quiet, and way better I think. Some people say superchargers spool instantly versus a turbo....if you build it and size it right a turbo can do the same. My PT76GTS on my 370 spools instantly. Also never had a problem with oil lines. Best part about a tubo is its basically not even there and un-noticable untill you need it. I think there is less things to go wrong on a turbo... also I think they are cheaper...if you can build the setup yourself.

Quick Reply: want opinions from people who have switch from procharger to turbo!!