Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 failed lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 failed lifters

I have a 2000 C5. Engine is standard apart from Vortech Supercharger.

Engine was throwing a code intermittently for front knock sensor. Pulled the inlet manifold to replace the sensor and noticed the oil seal under the sensor wasn't sitting properly and some oil was coming through. Pulled off the plate the sensors are sitting on to replace the seal and we could see the front lifter was damaged and was marking the cam.

We pulled the heads off and the cam out today. The timing gear on the cam was loose - all 3 bolts were loose and the pin was missing. Have a total of 3 damaged lifters. The lifters have been flat spotted and look like they've been hit with a hammer on the roller.

Car has done 16000 miles, 5000 miles with the Vortech supercharger on.

Now why has the timing gear on the cam come loose, its pin missing and 3 lifters failed ?

Oil pressure has been fine and car has had frequent oil changes. Motor doesn't use any oil. Cam looked fine apart from where it was marked by the 3 lifters.

I have new lifters, new cam, JWIS timing chain and cloyes timing gears ready to put in but I don't want to do this without addressing what has caused the problem in the first place. We'll also pull the sump off and look for the missing pin and check the oil pump.

Thanks,

Dave.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Someone forgot to use Loctite
Old 03-15-2004, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Shouldn't even need locktite if you torque to spec, I know it's a saftey measure, but it should be fine. I would look for that missing pin as well. Seems like there was some sort of abnormal vibration to cause that. I never heard of a lifter getting damaged in that way.

TTT

Dan