Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Wishing I'd been in the SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wishing I'd been in the SS

I never have anything like this happen in my car. Getting to the end of the story, I'm almost glad I wasn't in it this time. It's no LSX or even a GM product but it was a story none-the-less.

01 7.3L F250 vs late early 80's Monte Carlo

Last weekend I was headed home on the interstate in my truck. I was in a 30 mile or so stretch of nothing on the highway running about 80 and went past an early 80's model Monte Carlo. It was at night but it had 24 or 22 inch wheels and a flow master sticker on the back glass with a flashy paint job. Other than the assumed Flow Master, I have no idea the mods.

I was probably going 5-10 MPH faster than him and the knucklehead speeds up as soon as I get beside him so now I can't get back over in the right lane. I really didn't want to slow down because I was making great time so i kicked it up to 90ish hoping he'd get tired of the higher speed and trail off...Nope. I kicked it up and so did he...so I let him have the black coal. I didn't run away from him but I pulled away. There was a semi in my lane coming up pretty quick at this point and I had room so I got over. I coasted back down and the guy started riding my butt. He flew around me as we passed the semi.

I set the resume on my cruise control and about a mile and a half later I went back around him. He did it again so I immediately gave it to him. I watched the speed-o past 90 and was pulling pretty good.

I'm watching cars better than a mile ahead of me and I'm seeing brake lights. So I start to coast back down from well over 100MPH when I see the blue lights go on ahead of me. Ever had the heart skip a beat, empty feeling in the pit of your stomach feeling? Dude in the Monte Carlo put the brakes on quick. I figured I was had either way so I just let it keep coasting down and went by the deputy watching him pull out behind us.

I got over fully wondering if I was going to jail and contemplating calling my Fiance to have her on stand-by to get me out, if they'd let me out.

The deputy went by both of us and pulled in behind another deputy that had someone pulled over down the road a bit.

I know better than to race on the highways. I shouldn't have done it. I haven't done it in a long time and bit off one time and got scared out of doing it again. I sure hope I remember that little situation before I jump on someone else. But then again, I'm dumb and as long as there's no traffic around...I probably won't be able to resist it.

But...I did feel good knowing my 7000+ pound truck got a kill. Too bad I didn't have the chip on high performance...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

radar/laser detector or better yet jammer would take care of that fear of freeway racing. As most of us here can attest, that fear in the pit of the stomach is one helluva sobering moment. Like jumping into a ice cold lake.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
radar/laser detector or better yet jammer would take care of that fear of freeway racing. As most of us here can attest, that fear in the pit of the stomach is one helluva sobering moment. Like jumping into a ice cold lake.

It's in the SS. LOL. Rarely do I end up in speeds in that big freaking truck that I worry about it.

And yes, quite sobering!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

As long as you aren't being an idiot going in and out of traffic I've found all the cops that have caught me racing were cool about it. One even thanked me for stopping for him and another let me off with a warning and allowed me to get the girl's # I was racing.

Good kill
Old 12-12-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

If you were in the SS he might have been more inclined to pull you over. Nice kill
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blakez28
If you were in the SS he might have been more inclined to pull you over. Nice kill
Same thing I was thinking.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

I roll with a valentine one radar detector,it helps but it's not going to save you everytime!