New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam and Stall project on a 2005 GTO....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam and Stall project on a 2005 GTO....

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm probably not posting this in the right spot so forgive me. I have a few questions and i've searched google with little luck. Hoping the experts here can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2005 GTO with a couple bolt ons for now. I just recently ordered an FTI 3,800 stall Converter and the original Ed Curtis Street Sweeper Cam package from Flowtech (236/240 630/610 lifts 111 LSA). I hope everything gets here by the week of the 26th since i'm off and will actually have time to do all this.

Anyway for my questions...

Anyone have good luck pulling a 4L65e with just a floor jack? I don't have a tranny jack handy so this will be my only option. Obviously I have no lift either.

I plan on replace the rear main seals since they are leaking. I bought the a new cover with seals from GM (recommended from what i've read). I hear people put RTV on the gasket, others don't. It looking like a good enough gasket as is. What do you guys do?

What are the torque specs on the rear cover in FT/LBS?

Also, for the flexplate bolts, are the reuseable or torque to yield? What is the final torque on them? Do they need locktite and blue or red (red is probably a bit much)?

As far as what to do for a tranny cooler and if I should run a separte system or tap off the stock radiator cooler, I have no idea what to do there. Any good suggestions there?

As far as the Cam install goes, are there any good write ups out there to do it on an LS2? Maybe some coving install a new oil pump as well. I'll be doing that when I do mine too.

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Floor jack has worked just fine for me. Torque converter bolts may be to long if you have a billet cover, blue loc-tite sounds good. I took the cooler 24,000lb out of the loop.
Rear cover bolts torque to 18ftlbs. There are some write ups in the stickies in every section.

Quick Reply: Cam and Stall project on a 2005 GTO....