Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure/ Water Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure/ Water Temperature Gauge

Thinking about installing a Manual guage on my lq4. Whats the best place to install it and what threads is that place? My gauge gets real twitchy every now and then. I know my cluster is bad and im going to replace it but i think i want some extra insurance.

Same on Water Temp. (thinking passenger side head) but what threads are those plugs? (1 head has a plug 1 has a sending unit)

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil gauge is not that hard, You have to drill the adapter housing on top of the oil filter housing, It comes off, really easy to do, Just drill it out, and tap it to 1/8 npt the fittings that come with the gauge will go right in, then run the hose or tube to the gauge, alot of guys say only run the copper tubing, but I have never had any trouble with the nylon tubing that comes with the gauges.

The coolant temp gauge is another story,,
The Plug threads on the head are 12x1.5 summit sells an adapter, because almost all aftermarket electric gauges are gonna be 1/8 NPT threads, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2277/
You will have to run electrical sending units with that 1/8 sender and adapter,, all the manual gauges I have ever seen have 1/2 NPT senders, and that is a big hole, You would have to drill and tap your head, and I am not sure if there is enough room there to go that big. I have seen some installs where the guys are removing their plugs in the block, (freeze plug) holes I think, They adapt it somehow, that would be less risky than drilling into your head.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I knew someone else on here has delt with this stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

autometer tech section has a write up on how to do this and all the part numbers for the adapters that you need

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure/ Water Temperature Gauge