Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New to FI. Looking at forged pistons. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to FI. Looking at forged pistons. Any suggestions?

I recently bought a F1 procharger and I am completely stock other than long tubes. I've been hearing about pistons 5 and 7 going first and I don't want that to happen to me. My plan is to run 7-10 lbs of boost and not have any worries. This is my daily driver and I can't afford to blow a rod or piston. So step one before the f1 is installed is forged pistons and hardened rods. Any suggestions on either of these?
Thanks, Rickey
Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

What engine ?

F1 seems a bit big for such a low amount of boost. And standard pistons fail because they are a weak design.

Pretty much any forged piston will be fine as long as the supporting mods are done too. ie proper tuning, fuel system, etc etc

At your claimed goals, even factory rods would be fine. But uprated ones are so cheap, may as well do them at same time as pistons as it opens up a wider range of piston choice.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Teching In

It's a ls1 sorry. I plan on going for more boost down the road. As for the rods I'm almost positive I have a bent rod already. I'll be pulling them out soon anyways so like you said they're so cheap may as well buy upgraded ones. As for the pistons I'm looking at bore sizes and I'm not sure what is a good size for my set up. Also to go with the f1 I'll be getting a custom grind cam (not sure on specs just yet) as well as cnc heads (not sure on size). Would the cam size and heads size be a big factor in the bore size on the piston?
Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TR111_WS6
It's a ls1 sorry. I plan on going for more boost down the road. As for the rods I'm almost positive I have a bent rod already. I'll be pulling them out soon anyways so like you said they're so cheap may as well buy upgraded ones. As for the pistons I'm looking at bore sizes and I'm not sure what is a good size for my set up. Also to go with the f1 I'll be getting a custom grind cam (not sure on specs just yet) as well as cnc heads (not sure on size). Would the cam size and heads size be a big factor in the bore size on the piston?
Id have the cylinder walls honed to clean them up a bit. Then I would have the machine shop get the exact bore size for me to order the pistons.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TR111_WS6
What bore sizes ? If it's an LS1 you have two options. Factory 3.898" or a quick 5thou hone and 3.903" ( or 3.905, same odds really )

And again the only head options are to suit that same bore size.

A better question would be, what is your budget ? And are you just piecing bits together, or seeking to buy a shortblock or longblock ?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always say the K-1/Wiseco package. Both are badass and can handle some power.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I was looking at weisco and I've heard good things. I've also looked at diamond turbo/blown packages. I just want something reliable.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM
9 Second Club

I doubt there are any parts out there from reputable sources that will be unreliable.

More importantly is who is building it, and tuning it.

The actual components themselves are the easy decisions.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Probably GSP in Dallas. If not them ill be doing the instal.

Quick Reply: New to FI. Looking at forged pistons. Any suggestions?