PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

delphi pcm? and software...this is a strange one.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default delphi pcm? and software...this is a strange one.

I get this call....about a 39 ford, with a ls swap, in a shop and they aare having issues getting it to run, and to run right. After several weeks, of various phone calls i end up with this...

1. its a 97/98 engine with a 4l60e
2. its a street and perfomance harness
3. its a (non oem) offroad style delphi I think pcm....
4. it has an obd2 aldl, and tuner cats reads it and programs it. But I thought it was different software for that pcm?
5. ITS PROGRAMMED AS A 98 TA....?vin an all

It doesnt even have fan wires from the pcm.....to me this just seems like a back asswards way of doing this that ultimately is costing twice as much and extreme amounts of time. Why would they use the offroad pcm? Then program it to an oem modded file, and WHY USE A 98 file? I ve compared the file to a known stock 98 file and it appears to have a patch/operating system change and have a bank to bank control enabled too.

It would have been so easy to just use a 99 oem pcm....run fan wires and be done....instead they have a fan switch, a pcm thats semi unique, with a 98 file. The 99 way with harness is 500$ and I bet they are into this for over a 1000 and the car still barely runs. The pcm has been sent back once already.

Anyways.....why would street and performance do this? Am I missing something? The trans is getting no diag errors yet shifts like its in safe mode (super hard) even at idle. I wonder if they wired it like a 99+ and still for some reason flashed it as a 98? But this is not a oem pcm so I dont know the pinouts. I havnt actually seen the car, but I ve been shown the file, and told this information about it. Ive been asked to take a look, but honestly, it seems like 500 bucks in a pcm and harness form my guy in AZ fices this easy, rather then screwing with there mess.

ideas.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everything I've ever dealt with that came from Street and Performance has been a problem. From them locking their tunes to their POS MAF that mounts directly in front of the TB just to name a few.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Suggestion?? Call Mark @ S&P, and ask. [FWIW, I have an E38/T42 from them, on a car I'm working on. The pcm is not locked.]
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320
I get this call....about a 39 ford, with a ls swap, in a shop and they aare having issues getting it to run, and to run right. After several weeks, of various phone calls i end up with this...

1. its a 97/98 engine with a 4l60e
2. its a street and perfomance harness
3. its a (non oem) offroad style delphi I think pcm....
4. it has an obd2 aldl, and tuner cats reads it and programs it. But I thought it was different software for that pcm?
5. ITS PROGRAMMED AS A 98 TA....?vin an all

It doesnt even have fan wires from the pcm.....to me this just seems like a back asswards way of doing this that ultimately is costing twice as much and extreme amounts of time. Why would they use the offroad pcm? Then program it to an oem modded file, and WHY USE A 98 file? I ve compared the file to a known stock 98 file and it appears to have a patch/operating system change and have a bank to bank control enabled too.

It would have been so easy to just use a 99 oem pcm....run fan wires and be done....instead they have a fan switch, a pcm thats semi unique, with a 98 file. The 99 way with harness is 500$ and I bet they are into this for over a 1000 and the car still barely runs. The pcm has been sent back once already.

Anyways.....why would street and performance do this? Am I missing something? The trans is getting no diag errors yet shifts like its in safe mode (super hard) even at idle. I wonder if they wired it like a 99+ and still for some reason flashed it as a 98? But this is not a oem pcm so I dont know the pinouts. I havnt actually seen the car, but I ve been shown the file, and told this information about it. Ive been asked to take a look, but honestly, it seems like 500 bucks in a pcm and harness form my guy in AZ fices this easy, rather then screwing with there mess.

ideas.
I don't get it. You're in asking for help, about a third party built car, in which you're not even sure the controller type, or how it's programmed.

Anyone else find this odd?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was called about it....thats it. I get calls about stuff like this all the time.(dealerships, driveline shops, streetrod shops) I was just hoping to get some insight on why they would go that way, thats all. I did find out, it is actually a 98 oem pcm....why in the hell they would use a 98....and a 98 pcm.....well I can only guess its profit based, because they get good deals on 98 stuff. What a great company.

this can be closed now....its a mute point. The shop is dissassembling the car for paint and figure they ll deal with the pcm/running problem later...

Quick Reply: delphi pcm? and software...this is a strange one.