Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help doing work on my LS1 PLEASE....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help doing work on my LS1 PLEASE....

Hey guys so i have a 98 firebird formula ls1 A4 the only thing i have done is SLP lid, Mac Mids, ORY, magna flow cat back, and thats about all....

Im looking to do a cam set up in the car and I'm looking for a cam that has a mean sounding lope and nothing to aggressive on the motor, I have already got parts but just seeing what you guys think as to what else i may need or what i have wrong..

someone told me that i needed the Ls6 oil pump cause the ones in the 98 are shitty and crap out... also they said change the timing chain with a ls2 chain..

PARTS I HAVE.....
Ported Ls6 Oil Pump
Heavy duty Ls2 timing Chain
GMPP ASA Cam 226/236 .525/.525 110 lsa -- THE WHOLE KIT FROM GM
Ls6 Springs

I know i need a stall but was wondering what size you all thought was good and what else i may need any help would be greatly appreciated!

by the way I'm not doing it a performance shop will be I'm just trying to get the parts together.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably only other things you need would be new hardened pushrods and then the gaskets, crank pulley bolt (get arp!!) and you are all set...and yes the 98 oil pump is the first design so its not the best! Also good move on the ls2 timing chain bc they are an upgrade on an ls1..

Be careful when you install the cam because my lifters did not stay up in the trays like they are supposed to...

Also do your self a favor and get some 799 or 243 ls6/ls2 heads, they only go for around 350-400 bucks and are ten times better than the junk 98 heads (i have a 98 z28 so i know!) it makes the cam install easier too because you can just remove all the lifters rather than worry about them falling you pull the cam.

Good luck man, you are going to love the power!!! I put a set of ported 243s and 224/230 comp cam and my car rips now!!! I only have the stock stall converter too and i am running low 12s...but a 3600 stall is going to be my next upgrade for sure, i might see some 11s then!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's wrong with the 98 heads? Nothing. They are as good as any other ls1 head just less desireable because of the valve cover.