Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valvespring retainers - Ti or 4140?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Valvespring retainers - Ti or 4140?

Trying to figure out whether or not buying the titanium retainers (when I install a cam) would be worth the added cost in my application. My car's going to be primarily a street/strip type of car (with a roughly 6000 rpm redline), but I'm also going to run it on the Bonneville salt, & I'm hoping to run the occasional open-road event with it as well...

Here's what I'm thinking - on the one hand, these 2.16" intake valves are pretty freakin' heavy, so anything I can do to shave a little weight there should be worthwhile - but OTOH, there's a nearly $200 difference in cost between the Ti retainers & the 4140 CM steel retainers, & the way things are right now, that money could be pretty useful for getting other parts to get the car running...

What do you guys think??
Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend the $ on some hollow stem valves and get a set of tool steel retainers. They are only a couple grams heavier than a Ti one.

Tim
Old 01-08-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Spend the $ on some hollow stem valves and get a set of tool steel retainers. They are only a couple grams heavier than a Ti one.

Tim
Thanks for the reply Tim, I'm thinking that's what I'll probably do. New valves might still be a ways off for me (especially since the engine is brand-new), but I kind of suspected that the weight difference might not justify the cost differential... Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS3 intakes are $200
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch

Tim
Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Thanks for the reply Tim, I'm thinking that's what I'll probably do. New valves might still be a ways off for me (especially since the engine is brand-new), but I kind of suspected that the weight difference might not justify the cost differential... Thanks again.

You don't need hollow stem valves to spin to 6K RPM. Use whatever dual springs are required for selected cam, tool steel retainers & 1.7 rockers. The valvetrain stability up to your stated RPM will be fine using this set up.

Quick Reply: Valvespring retainers - Ti or 4140?