Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 went down ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 went down ...

Well my truck is down.. and I'm pretty sure ive got a spun bearing. I had been having a wierd problem with my oil pressure being low at idle, but i had good pressure up in the rpms. I took it down the road and done a 1st-3rd pull and after i let off about 10 seconds later i could hear a tapping sound and knew something wasnt right. As soon as i heard it i looked down and the oil was around 30psi, and i was only a quarter mile from my driveway so i just turned it off and coasted it on home. After i pulled it in the garage i fired it to start checking it out and had 0 oil psi now, the knocking/tapping sound wasnt really that loud but i have this awful squealing kind of sound coming from the bottom end right at the front near the oil pump area. I am crossing my fingers hoping my oil pump just went by by and that everything else is ok. I have a gut feeling i have a rod or main bearing gone though but I'm just gonna hope for the best. If any of you guys have any input on this please let me know....
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

The good thing is 5.3s are as cheap as $300 for a used one.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep get Another shortblock
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

In the case that I have to get another block I will most likely grab a 6.0 .. I am gonna keep my fingers crossed and try putting an oil pump in it first and just see what happens. I would be more than thankful if thats all it needs. Im just a little puzzled with it because ive never heard a sound like its making from any other engine before.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

We blew up a buddies GTO that had a nice knock and squeal to it. Spun two rod bearings. It doesn't take much to spin em when you have no oil psi. Best of luck but I don't think I'd push bearing material through a new pump and ruin it.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Staging Lane

Yea I thought more about that after I had posted... I'm gonna start by getting the oil pump out first and take a look and if I can't spot the prob I guess it'll be time to pull er out..
Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

well I got in to the oil pump and found that my pump didn look to bad but the front main bearing was chewed up and hanging half way out.. . now I guess its time to plan another build. I dunno for sure if I wanna go back with a 5.3 or just got ahead n go with a 6.0..

Quick Reply: 5.3 went down ...