Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)

Just wanted to post up pics of my clearancing to the timing cover I did to get my Cloyes double roller hex-adjust chain and Melling high volume oil pump to fit right.

I searched and searched on here but couldn't find any pics that anyone had taken of the timing cover post-clearance. Also not included is some of the grinding I did to the pump itself on the back of the inlet tube (not too much, there is plenty of aluminum left) as well as I ground off the part number on the back of the pump on the drivers side and now I have plenty of room there.

I took the bolts that came with my timing chain for the spacers too and chucked them in the trash and replaced them with button top bolts to give me more room on the indents in the timing cover (bolts were hitting them the new ones do not).

Yes the pics are rather large but I wanted to try to get the depth of them as best I could. If you have questions post them up and I'll try to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)-cover1.jpg   Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)-cover2.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about this, good info. Anymore pics or is it all bolted up?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

I have the oil pump bolted up but the cover isn't going back on for a bit, what did you want more pics on, certain angles? I don't think I can get my phone close enough to get the pump grind points but I have the cover in front of me now.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1987firechicken
I have the oil pump bolted up but the cover isn't going back on for a bit, what did you want more pics on, certain angles? I don't think I can get my phone close enough to get the pump grind points but I have the cover in front of me now.
It sucks. Been there done that. Comp cams has a new timing cover out now that will work with a double row chain and aftermarket pump now fwiw. Or just keep grinding on your until it fits.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I was interested on the pump and pick-up tube, no biggie though. The pics you posted should give me enough info for getting started with the cover. Thanks!

JPH - which timing cover? 2-piece?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

I searched and searched but couldn't find a cover that would clear a double. Can you post a link to it? The only thing I found is Hamburger's is coming out with a 2 piece cover that should clear but it isn't for sale yet, could only find a video on youtube of it at the SEMA 11 show. Also if it's like the other covers that are 2 piece it's alot of $$'s to chuck at a timing cover IMO.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

I searched and searched but couldn't find a cover that would clear a double. Can you post a link to it? The only thing I found is Hamburger's is coming out with a 2 piece cover that should clear but it isn't for sale yet, could only find a video on youtube of it at the SEMA 11 show. Also if it's like the other covers that are 2 piece it's alot of $$'s to chuck at a timing cover IMO.
Comp Cams #5496. It is 1pc.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:21 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
I was interested on the pump and pick-up tube, no biggie though. The pics you posted should give me enough info for getting started with the cover. Thanks!

JPH - which timing cover? 2-piece?
Comp Cams #5496 and it's 1pc.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

So I circled the spots on the pump I took down a little bit on the pick up tube part there is an indent that it hit close to. In the pick it would be just above aprox where I circled it, and the part number I just took down to flush with the rest of the casting. I used a dremel and sanding wheels. Really didn't take a whole lot out off of the pump pickup tube, make sure you get the lower sprocket pressed on there really good, I probably took more out then I needed until I gave it a good smack again with the hammer and now I have a comfortable amount of room.
Attached Thumbnails Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)-melling_oil_pump.jpg  

Last edited by 1987firechicken; 01-11-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Helps if I include the pic
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...ducts_id=19835

That one? Looks like there is no price on it so it may just be pre-orders right now, just showed up at SEMA 11 too with the Hamburger's one.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

http://www.coloradospeed.com/index.p...ducts_id=19835

That one? Looks like there is no price on it so it may just be pre-orders right now, just showed up at SEMA 11 too with the Hamburger's one.
That is the 1.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

So I circled the spots on the pump I took down a little bit on the pick up tube part there is an indent that it hit close to. In the pick it would be just above aprox where I circled it, and the part number I just took down to flush with the rest of the casting. I used a dremel and sanding wheels. Really didn't take a whole lot out off of the pump pickup tube, make sure you get the lower sprocket pressed on there really good, I probably took more out then I needed until I gave it a good smack again with the hammer and now I have a comfortable amount of room.
Those are the closest areas.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Launching!

very good info, will need one of these covers.

Quick Reply: Clearancing for cloyes double roller + Melling HV pump (Pics inside)