Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LS376/515 crate into a 68

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS376/515 crate into a 68

I am getting ready to purchase the GM ls376/515 crate motor to transplant into my 1968 Camaro. I am really hoping that someone on this forum has done this actual conversion as i have a couple of questions i need to address before i make this purchase. (1) Will the supplied corvette oil pan clear the stock subframe without modification or will i have to purchase a different pan?(2) What would be the best front accessories bracket combo to use with powersteering,alternater,no ac. (3) what would be the easiest cost effective,header, motor mount combination to go with? I am really not trying to be lazy by asking for this info knowing you guys have aready gone through alot of time,effort to have this knowledge but i need to forsee all the initial costs of this swap as i am really trying my loving wifes financial patience,if you know what i mean !!!! Thanks in advance, Ken.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I started to go the 376-515 route with my 72 camaro build, but after doing a little research, i bought the standard LS3 then, bought the cam i WANTED to run and the intake i WANTED to run. after selling off the factory stuff (LS3 intake and cam) i wound up saving about 200 bucks under the price of the 376/515. im probably making a few extra ponys as well, because i went with a cam that takes advantage of modern lobe profiles , instead of the antiquated ASA cam that comes in the 515.

The covette pan will need to be modified to work. Oil pan clearance is a huge issue on LS swaps. As far as front drives go, the corvette unit w/o ac is a good value. i bought mine from PACE. It works with the LS3 crank pully, so you done have to change it out.

As far as mounts go, I went with the BMR kit w coated headers. It worked pretty well, but my driveline angle isnt optimal because i lowered my car (not BMR fault ). if my car set 2 inches higher in the back, it would be about right.

Just take your time and research BEFORE you buy the parts and you will be fine. GOOD LUCK
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Default oil pan clearance

Thanks for the reply Newschool. Just wondering where the conflict was located on the vette oil pan and if this would apply on a 1st gen Camaro sub-frame as i notice your retrofit was to a second-gen. I noticed also that you have a first gen by your sig. and thought you might be able to give me the answer i am looking for, thanks Ken.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

on the second gen, you have to notch the subframe crossmember in the rear to clear the vette pan.I am still running an old school sbc in my 68, so i cant give first hand knowledge on an LS swap in the first gen. There are options out there for your swap, though. If you post up in the conversions/hybrids section with a request on first gen oilpan fitment , i sure you will get more response than in this forum. If you go with the BMR kit, they will tell you which pan to run with there kit. The pan and headers you use are dependant on the way the mounts locate the engine.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Go to " LSX in a 67-69 Camaro" thread in the conversions /hybrids forum. Has EVERYTHING you need to know. GOOD LUCK.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

you can get a autokraft pan and save a ton of trouble

Quick Reply: LS376/515 crate into a 68