Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best mail order tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best mail order tune

I've got a 99 Trans AM M6 thats stock except for an SLP lid and a cat-back and I was wondering if its worth it to get a mail order tune? Heres the thing, Its a daily driver and it still has to go through emissions so It doesnt look like I can do headers for a few more years. I dont have the funds or space right now to do bigger mods like heads or cam, besides I think it would be easier to just pull the motor and do those jobs all at once including headers.

I'm definitly looking to get the most I can out of with with those limitations, but would a tune be worth it? I dont really know of any other mods that would actually make a difference with the stock exhaust manifolds on there.

Thanks for any advice
Old 01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off I recommend Frost for tuning, I just had mine done and everything is great and he gave great customer service as well. If you can afford it do a set of headers and an ls6 intake and then do the tune. If you are planning to do just the tune for now it would help some but you would def feel it more with the headers and ls6. You can check frosts FAQs for more questions if you want. Hope all this helps.
http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/faq.htm#2

I am taking this directly off Tunedbyfrost.com
"Factory vehicles are typically calibrated very conservatively and without (to an extent) performance in mind. Stock vehicles really wake up with minor adjustments to ignition timing, fueling, transmission torque management (if an automatic) and a few other items. These items and more (specific things like speedo fixes from larger tires or gears) are all a part of a Basic tune or a mail order tune. Most trucks can see a fairly substantial gain with simply retuning for high octane fuel. "
Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to do a full exhuast, but the problem is I dont think I can do it with the emissions Ive gotta pass. I know some people have gotten away with shorties but from what I hear the gain isnt all that much, and headers isnt a quick easy job on our cars so I'd rather do it right the first time lol.

How much of a power gain do you think I could expect from a mail order tune? I'm not opposed to other mods either, I just didnt think any would be worth it without letting the engine breathe more.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS6 intake swap would yield some nice gains. If EGR has to retained, SLP sells an LS6 intake with those provisions. That paired with a ported TB and Frost tune and you should be happy until you go full exhaust. Guessing 15-20rwhp could be had from it.

Quick Reply: Best mail order tune