Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Techs and knowledgeable people please give me your advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Techs and knowledgeable people please give me your advice

Hey guys,

First off happy holidays and new year to you and your families. I hope it has been great for you all.

So, I have a winter project: Because I live in Chicago, IL I unfortunately have had to drive my '01 T/A in a few winters. Luckily, I have not had to do so in the past three years. As a result, I have a little bit of surface corrosion on the under body in the usual places. What can I do about this?

I have had one friend tell me to get a can of stuff made by AMS that he used to spray underneath his Wrangler and it helped. My tech told me to get this spray made by 3M, which is pretty much like Rhino Liner in a can for spot treating and basically sand down to the bare metal and spray to cover it up.

I know what the ideal solution is: to redo the whole under carriage. I do not have that type of money and like a said it is only in a few spots, not the whole under carraige. I want to stop the corrosion before it eats away too much. Eventually, down the road, I plan on getting the whole car repainted and before that obviously my car will go thru through a whole rotisserie restoration.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated from everyone. Thank you and have a great year!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would take some sand paper and a wire brush and clean everything up as good as you can and then primer over it and then spray undercoating over the primer once it dries. I'll go ahead and say that I'm no expert but its what I've always done. I've used the stuff in a spray can that turns rust into primer and IMO its a waste of money. I've used the rust remover gel as well and the only thing I could really tell is that it removes rust stains rather than actual rust. Nothing works for removing rust like a wire brush on a drill but its hard to access alot of places with it. GL
Old 01-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I would take some sand paper and a wire brush and clean everything up as good as you can and then primer over it and then spray undercoating over the primer once it dries. I'll go ahead and say that I'm no expert but its what I've always done. I've used the stuff in a spray can that turns rust into primer and IMO its a waste of money. I've used the rust remover gel as well and the only thing I could really tell is that it removes rust stains rather than actual rust. Nothing works for removing rust like a wire brush on a drill but its hard to access alot of places with it. GL
Thanks for your input that is probably what I am going to do.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

At the shop we used some stuff that converts the rust and you prime over it. It worked good, and I liked watching it change colors from pink to black