Sponsored by:

swapped vehicles and inspection time

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default swapped vehicles and inspection time

What do you guys do when it comes time for inspections.

I ask because I'm looking at putting my 5.3 into an already swapped (355/TH400) first gen s10 blazer. BUT, its going to need an inspection first.

I have been told to "swap back to the OE drivetrain" for inspections and then you run into the guys who have no issues at all.

What do you guys do?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Register as historic. Ton of weight off.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I registered my s10, I said it was kept in a county that doesn't require emission test or inspections. I would just retitle it with a collector plate seeing that it's 20years old
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

lots of states have serious restrictions on the use of historic plates.

Alabama which uses mostly the model version of the law, and lots of states will use the same almost word for word. This would allow me to only drive the car if I was going to a mechanic, a car show, a club event or a few other limited times.

It specifically states the veh can not be used as transport to work, school ...

In short check the laws in your state. However, swapping the old drive train in and out would be a major PITA.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What state are you in. Each state has its own DMV laws. Most are implemented around California C.A.R.B rules and laws.

To do it correctly (technically and legally), if the state allows.. Would be to re-certify the car/truck with the new engine/trans.

You would need to have all smog equipment that was originally part of the donor car/truck. Based on the VIN, this would include EGR, Air, CEL, ODBII Port, Fuel pressure/level sensor and anything else that GM implemented with the Donor.

Basically it gets re-cert'd as the Donor and has to meet all Smog visual and test of the Donor. ie. if the Donor was a 05' GTO, your S10 would be tested as a 05' GTO (or what ever).

Not real hard. Just a PITA to do. What also is a problem has been the Referee that is doing the re-cert.. Different Ref's have different interpretation of the same law.. LOL

BC
Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Location "Earth" doesn't help us...

Sort of like the shops that say "We specialize in Foreign and Domestic vehicles". So if E.T. needs something fixed he's screwed I guess...

Here in the emissions counties around DFW Texas the ruling is basically the emissions "package" of the converted car has to conform to the later of either the car or the engine. So putting OBD2 96 or up drivetrain in a pre 96 chassis is a pain, All of the OBD2 stuff has to be changed over.
No "recertification" needed here but the swap needs to be correct....

One NICE thing around here is that if the vehicle is more than 25 years old it has to pass no "emissions" testing. It's still supposed to have the equipment but it's not sniffed or scanned...

Where do you live?

Did you research your area's emission requirements? This is CRITICAL!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine passed in DFW ok.

Quick Reply: swapped vehicles and inspection time